One Rod

Old September 30th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Russell Durtschi

Default One Rod

For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.

In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Russell

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:00 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:15:20 -0600, Russell Durtschi wrote:

For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.

In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Russell

That'd be a heck of a constraint for some of us - especially those that do the
fresh and sal****er things, in creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes and the ocean.

But if I could only fish one rod, it'd be a Winston IM6 2 piece 9/5.
Too sweet to leave at home...

/daytripper (and mine's going back home for major refurb over the winter...)
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM
Peter Charles

wrote:

For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.

In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Russell

Sage SP 490-3

or maybe my Ted Knott cane,

then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.

or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.

but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.

of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.

but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy

then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
the DB 10 wt.

and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
wt. spey

unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
wt.

speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate

See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:52 AM
rw

Russell Durtschi wrote:

So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

Sage SP 5wt 5-piece. I use it at least 95% of the time. Every other rod
I own is a specialty rod.

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:00 AM
Skwala

wrote:

Sage SP 490-3

or maybe my Ted Knott cane,

then there's the Daiwa 8' five piece 4/5 wt.

or maybe the Winston 7'6" 5 wt.

but how could I forget my DB 2/3wt.

of course I could use the Scott 10' 7 wt.

but in rhodo country I'd better use the little glass Hardy

then I could end up in a boat and might need the Vector 9 wt. or maybe
the DB 10 wt.

and if fly swinging is needed then I'd best get out the Daiwa 13'6" 9
wt. spey

unless it was on trout water, then I'd need the 10'6" East Branch 4
wt.

speaking of which, I shouldn't neglect the little EB 6 wt. for
streamers -- or it's DB VSR stablemate

See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!

Peter

Oh Oh, sounds like a unrestrained case of Rod Lust...

Skwala

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:03 AM
Paul Goodwin

"Russell Durtschi" wrote in message
[snip]
In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

I'm thinkin' that maybe I don't own my only rod yet.

Russell

I feel that if a golfer can have 14 clubs then I should have 14 fly rods.

Paul (who is currently at risk of a 2 stroke penalty... more if his wife
finds out)

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:23 AM
@(nospam)rochester.rr.com

wrote:

[...]

You remind me of Steve Martin in "The Jerk": "and this thermos, and
this paddle game, and this folding chair. That's ALL I NEED!!!!"

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM
George Adams

From: Russell Durtschi

Sage RPL 580 (8' 5wt)

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old October 1st, 2003, 02:41 AM
Peter Charles

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:00:50 -0700, "Skwala"
wrote:

See -- I only ever fish with one rod!!!!

Peter

Oh Oh, sounds like a unrestrained case of Rod Lust...

Skwala

I'm afraid it's already gone way beyond mere lust . . . . .

Old October 1st, 2003, 03:13 AM
Tim J.

"Russell Durtschi" wrote in message
For twenty years I essentially fished with one rod. My first rod that I
got in 1972 was as a glass Fenwick 8.5 ft 6wt. I used that until I built
a Sage 8.5 ft 6wt in 1988. Then, last year I popped into ROFF and
learned that it's okay to have more rods. So I bought a KPOS 3wt and
5wt. Soon discovered that the 3wt is much more suitable for the fishing
that I do (at least when I get to go) ninty percent of the time.

In an earlier thread, Forty stated that if he could only have one rod he
would quit fishing and take up birdwatching. This is a concept that I am
just beginning to grasp. So here is the question: If you really could
only have one rod, what rod would it be and why?

KPOS 7'6" 3WT
--
TL,
Tim