Night Tournament (7/24/04)

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default Night Tournament (7/24/04)

Joe and I fished a night tournament last night with our club; something that
has just been returned to our schedule after many complaints of people not
wanting to fish at night. But anyway, only about half of the club showed up.

We fished several areas that had been productive for us in the past, but
nothing that was caught there would make the mark. Last Tuesday night, I
fished a bank that I've pretty much ignored this year and found fish with my
Midnight Snack II spinnerbait. I told Joe that it would probably be worth
the drive if he was up to it in the dark. He's a pretty good sport, and
being that we both know the lake and can probably drive it blind folded, we
headed off.

My second cast, I hit a small little runt that was quick released at the
boat. My bait was getting slammed but we weren't hooking anything... I
couldn't understand that. It could have been that the fish were striking the
blades, and I almost decided to attach a treble hook to the back of my blade
attachment. Finally though, I did manage to hook up with a 2.06lb'er that
went to the livewell. All the others that we caught were still shy of the 15
inch mark. With about an hour left on the clock, we headed back toward our
launch and fished one of our favorite banks... still catching nothing to
help us out. As time ticked away... we headed back with our one little fish.

Seems that we weren't the only ones to have a bad night. First place was a
little over 8lbs, second place was about 5, third place was 2.13lbs. One
more fish for Joe and I would have taken third easy.

Sorry, but there was no pictures... LOL

--
Charles Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old July 26th, 2004, 01:29 PM
alwaysfishking

Man it never works out like you think it will( Warren excluded of course) ,
at least you two got to fish a bit together. I think I'm gonna go put some
vinyl on the car glass. :-)
. ..

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM
go-bassn

Not so fast buckaroo! Yours truly came in smelling like a skunk in
yesterday's NJ Federation tourney on the Delaware River lol. This is
supposed to be my "home water"! Of course, I didn't feel so bad after
seeing only 1 limit brought to the scales out of 120 or so guys. Still
kinda humbling though...

Warren :-(

,

Old July 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM
alwaysfishking

The delaware doesn't count that's not a normal body of water.. I've caught
two smallmouths on the delaware in two years, One, my biggest at just under
4 pounds the other a 5 inch smallie that took Dave's hair last year.

What I was trying to relay is that many of us head out with expectations of
winning a tourny or catching some good fish and very few of us actually come
in saying "I knew it was gonna be like this". I have never been in a tourny
that I didn't think I was gonna win, call it confidence or stupidity... but
I haven't won one yet.(dress bets and hair bets excluded) Granted I haven't
entered into a whole bunch, but I still think I can win every one or outfish
just about anyone on neutral grounds and would be willing to take anyone on
no matter where it is just for the competition. Ok never mind I'm a junkie..
I figured it out Thanks :-)

Old July 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM
alwaysfishking

besides catching my biggest fish of the year Sunday morning, nope. I had one
bite Sunday and that was the fish. I couldn't even get a tail tugger after
that but I knew after that fish not to expect anything for the rest of the
morning.