Dropshot

Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BIG FISH 2006

Default Dropshot

Well after reading about dropshot fishing all winter, I decided it was
time to learn it. I went out with a friend is his boat so I didn't have
to operate the trolling motor and used a DS all day. I caught about 30
bass and most were keepers, I used zoom worms, 4 1/2 inch. with a 3/16
DS cylinder type weight. My biggest find was that I had my best luck on
long cast slowly shaking it on a semi tight line.

matthew 4:19
follow me and I will make you fishers of men.

Old June 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ouachita

On Jun 3, 9:54 am, (BIG FISH 2006) wrote:
Well after reading about dropshot fishing all winter, I decided it was
time to learn it. I went out with a friend is his boat so I didn't have
to operate the trolling motor and used a DS all day. I caught about 30
bass and most were keepers, I used zoom worms, 4 1/2 inch. with a 3/16
DS cylinder type weight. My biggest find was that I had my best luck on
long cast slowly shaking it on a semi tight line.

matthew 4:19
follow me and I will make you fishers of men.

That's a great technique in shallow clear water and sometimes is the
only effective presentation. In deeper water with less visibility the
DS is good fished vertically. Down there the visibility might be
almost the same as in the upper water column, but however far a bass
can see high they can see deep if enough light penetrates. That's when
their other senses are peaked to make up for lost visibility.The
diminishing visibility provides a vision shield that allows bass to
keep a sense of security even with your boat directly overhead. That
wouldn't work as well if visibility is all the way to bottom.

Jim

Old June 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Congrats on the success with the D/S, that was a good trip. I use the
cylinder type sinkers also, they seem to get hung up less as I pitch my
baits mostly to cover, weed beds, laydowns, stumps etc. I also use the
weedless finesse wide gap hooks in the 1/0 size and nose hook the
plastics or wacky rig Senkos. I mostly fish the southern end of the CA
delta and the water is muddy and from 6" to 4-5 feet, depends on the
tide. The hook is 4" to 8" from the weight and just dragged on the
bottom with not much movement. The bass seem to like that presentation
but might not work all over the country. I also use Power Pro 30# braid,
muddy water has some plusses. My best bass using this system was a
little over 7#, the bigger ones like it also. Good luck and good bassin'
to you..

sket