lure fishing from the shore...Boston area..???

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
simon

Default lure fishing from the shore...Boston area..???

Hi.
I'm visiting Boston and the surrounding area, including Martha's vineyard.
What might I expect to catch fishing from the shore with lures?

Where would be a good place to go?
I'm thinking along the lines of have a drive / walk up the coast with the
missis, stopping to make the
occasional cast or two...

time will be limited, and going out on a boat is not feasible - won't be
able to get permission for a
long session from the missis..

(I'll be bringing a short telescopic rod and box of lures with lures that
range from surface patterns to deep divers - I'm a pike angler from the UK,
so will be bringing bits of my kit.
Back home in the UK I might hope to catch Mackerel or sea bass with the
tactics I'm thinking of)

ss

Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Mike G

In article ,
says...
Hi.
I'm visiting Boston and the surrounding area, including Martha's vineyard.
What might I expect to catch fishing from the shore with lures?

Where would be a good place to go?
I'm thinking along the lines of have a drive / walk up the coast with the
missis, stopping to make the
occasional cast or two...

time will be limited, and going out on a boat is not feasible - won't be
able to get permission for a
long session from the missis..

(I'll be bringing a short telescopic rod and box of lures with lures that
range from surface patterns to deep divers - I'm a pike angler from the UK,
so will be bringing bits of my kit.
Back home in the UK I might hope to catch Mackerel or sea bass with the
tactics I'm thinking of)

ss

Striped bass are the fish of the season and on the vineyard just about
any beach will do. There is still some nice cod around and mackerel are
plentiful as well as fluke and flounder.

Depending on what the business is, the weather, and how the wife feels
most of the islands of Boston harbor are state or national parks and
several, Georges Island comes immediately to mind, are serviced by ferry
boats. They make nice pick nick spots and Georges has an old fort to
explore. Maybe you can combine the explore, pick nick, fishing things in
a way that will appeal to the wife.

The only problem you might have is the short rod. Reaching out to touch
a fish over most of the beaches requires some distance.

Try this link
http://www.onthewater.com/fishingforecast.htm
it's published weekly so you can sort of stay abreast of things before
your trip.

Since your are traveling you probably won't be keeping any but it is
always nice to know the laws so go here
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre..._index.htm#top
for the state rules. There's a lot of other good information in those
pages.

Good luck
--
Mike G.