Non level wind reel

Old September 30th, 2003, 01:50 AM
William J Daum

Default Non level wind reel

I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first I
thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see the
Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just started
fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can not
see.

Thanks,

Bill

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Tom

"William J Daum" wrote in message
I was wondering why would you want to use a non level wind reel. At first

thought maybe it was economics. But looking at the Shimano catalog I see

the
Calcuttta 700 can be had either way. I am a freshwater man who has just

started
fishing Salt water and was wondering if there is some advantage that I can

not
see.

Thanks,

Bill

In the "olden days" of sal****er fishing, the level wind mechanisms were not
what they are today. Failure was fairly common, especially if the reels
were not scrupulously cared for and kept free of salt residue.

Also, distance casters (mostly surf fishermen) do not want a levelwind as it
adds line friction and reduces cast lengths.

Things have changed. Times have changed.

If you find a quality reel in level wind that you like and want to use in
salt water, there is no reason not to use it.

Tom

Shark II
Offshore Fishing NE Florida

Old September 30th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Sam Salmon

Past a certain point-say 50 pounds for Yellowfin-any levelwind extant
will explode under the pressure from a long run-it's all about speed
and power.

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Eddy Hops

Past a certain point-say 50 pounds for Yellowfin-any levelwind extant
will explode under the pressure from a long run

Or the pressure of cranking line back on at such a drag setting... hence the
reason you see most larger reels without them.

Also it's something else to go wrong.

John D.

remove myshorts to reply

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:41 AM
William J Daum

Well that all makes sense. Thanks for the answers. I gotta tell you guys after
being a long time fresh water man up here in the midwest. that Salt water is
sure a gas everyhing bites( even the bait) and the way those fish run is
something else.

Thanks

Bill
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:57 PM
Bill Kiene

Hi Bill,

It might be a salt water durability issue. That level winder might get sand
in it?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old October 1st, 2003, 08:17 PM
CKLINERT

In article , "Bill Kiene"
writes:

It might be a salt water durability issue.

I had a Penn level wind that rusted up until it got stuck. I just discarded
the level wind part and it has worked fine ever since.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"
Old October 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM
John Benson

you really can cast further with a non-levelwind. Also your shock leader
knot won't get caught in the levelwind mechanism. Use a levelwind if
casting lures, but use a non-levelwind if bait fishing.

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Spyda Man

Less friction equals more distance in casting. Also less parts means
less to go wrong. You'll rarely see levelwinds being used here in the
tough salt environment.

Spy in Hawaii