Recommend inflatable ferry boat/canoe/kayak

Old April 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Richard

Default Recommend inflatable ferry boat/canoe/kayak

I am thinking of getting a small inflatable boat of some kind to ferry
myself across smaller western rivers (e.g. Gunnison in CO) during spring
high waters when they become too deep to wade across. I just want something
that would be manageable to cross fairly fast current (not white water).
What would be the best kind of design for this purpose? Shore lines can
sometimes be shallow and rocky, so I think I would need something with a
durable bottom.

Old April 26th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Bob La Londe

"Richard" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting a small inflatable boat of some kind to ferry
myself across smaller western rivers (e.g. Gunnison in CO) during spring
high waters when they become too deep to wade across. I just want

something
that would be manageable to cross fairly fast current (not white water).
What would be the best kind of design for this purpose? Shore lines can
sometimes be shallow and rocky, so I think I would need something with a
durable bottom.

Any kind of inflatable is going to take some time to inflate even with an
eletric pump. Atleast anykind that is reasonably portable. Are you going
to pack it in or what?

Maybe some good waders, a float tube, and some swim fins? Still seems like
a lot to pack, but it would sure be a lot less than an inflatable boat.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old April 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Richard

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting a small inflatable boat of some kind to ferry
myself across smaller western rivers (e.g. Gunnison in CO) during spring
high waters when they become too deep to wade across. I just want

something
that would be manageable to cross fairly fast current (not white water).
What would be the best kind of design for this purpose? Shore lines can
sometimes be shallow and rocky, so I think I would need something with a
durable bottom.

Any kind of inflatable is going to take some time to inflate even with an
eletric pump. Atleast anykind that is reasonably portable. Are you going
to pack it in or what?

No, the river access points would be accessible by vehicle.

Maybe some good waders, a float tube, and some swim fins? Still seems
like a lot to pack, but it would sure be a lot less than an inflatable
boat.

I've read that float tubes should not be used in moving water. Not sure
about the pontoon type float tubes.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Thanks for the reply.
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Cyli

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:22:55 GMT, Richard
wrote:
(various parts snipped)

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting a small inflatable boat of some kind to ferry
myself across smaller western rivers (e.g. Gunnison in CO) during spring
high waters when they become too deep to wade across. I just want

something
that would be manageable to cross fairly fast current (not white water).
What would be the best kind of design for this purpose? Shore lines can

No, the river access points would be accessible by vehicle.

I've read that float tubes should not be used in moving water. Not sure
about the pontoon type float tubes.

Certainly not round (or U shaped) in fast moving water. Big slow
stream, maybe. But you'd want to be very familiar with the thing and
your abilities first. And have a buddy around when you practice. The
round ones make good drowning machines for the too careless, even in
still water. Pontoon boat should be able to handle relatively fast
water. Not like a canoe or kayak, but pretty well.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Most urgent would be to get familiar with whatever you chose first,
before trying the fast stream. If you don't know how to paddle a
canoe or kayak, don't even think about it until you learn how. Then
learn your individual boat. First in still water, like a pond or
small lake, then on safe water with a current. There's a _big_
difference with even a relatively slow current. And learn what to do
about being pinned on a rock and how to avoid downed trees.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Richard Adams

I used a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak in the Carribean and really enjoyed it.
It wasn't too expensive, pretty durable, packable, and tracked OK. This kind
of boat will work fine in moderate seas, gentle rapids and what you
describe.

I used to keep it in the trunk and pump it up in just a few minutes with a
manual pump, a 12V electric pump is real handy though.

http://www.seaeagle.com/menu.html

S.O.A.R. inflatables are much higher quality with price to match.

"Cyli" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:22:55 GMT, Richard
wrote:
(various parts snipped)