Steve Huber (Captains LIcense)

Old February 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Chris Rennert

Default Steve Huber (Captains LIcense)

Steve,

Last year I had asked you about getting my guides license for guiding on
Lake Winnebago. I know you had mentioned that you believed I would need a
Captains license in order to guide on Winnebago. I have found that to be
correct, and was wondering what the best way to go about getting it is? I
had heard the test is pretty difficult, and was looking for possibly a
course or something I could take to prepare myself for it.

I hope things are going well. Since I have no time to spend my money I
have compiled quite a bit of it :-). So my boat will look brand new
almost.

Chris
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM
pat gustafson

Chris,
You probably have to go through the Coast Guard, maybe you can get it
thru the coast guard reserve? I think that there are online
classes/tests you can take.

pat

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Bryan

a link providing a quiz for the license
http://boatsafe.com/uscgboat/

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
news
Steve,

Last year I had asked you about getting my guides license for guiding on
Lake Winnebago. I know you had mentioned that you believed I would need a
Captains license in order to guide on Winnebago. I have found that to be
correct, and was wondering what the best way to go about getting it is? I
had heard the test is pretty difficult, and was looking for possibly a
course or something I could take to prepare myself for it.

I hope things are going well. Since I have no time to spend my money I
have compiled quite a bit of it :-). So my boat will look brand new
almost.

There are several places that offer training for the test. I don't know if
there's any online resources to prepare you for the test, but all in all, I
would suggest any and all sources of study that you can find. A quick
Google search should reveal plenty of information on who/where to take the
training and test.

I know several guys that have taken the test and everyone has said that it's
a bear of a test, and none of them passed it on the first try.

I suppose that it's great if you're piloting a freighter on the Great Lakes,
or on the ocean, but I don't see the need for it for a bassboat on Lake
Winnebago. Just another example of the Coast Guard flexing their muscles.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:28 AM
AJH

"Piloting a freighter on the Great Lakes" The "six pack'' license
requires you to have basic skills and experience. IMO the test is
difficult but reasonable as it should be.. Calling it a "Captain's
license" is a big stretch...
I know the CG isn't "flexing it's muscles" They are just doing the job
as required by law.Carrying passengers for hire does require
responsibilty and knowledge..

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"AJH" wrote in message
"Piloting a freighter on the Great Lakes" The "six pack'' license
requires you to have basic skills and experience. IMO the test is
difficult but reasonable as it should be.. Calling it a "Captain's
license" is a big stretch...
I know the CG isn't "flexing it's muscles" They are just doing the job
as required by law.Carrying passengers for hire does require
responsibilty and knowledge..

I see by your email address that you're retired CG, so we're probably not
going to agree on this subject at all. I do agree wth your last statement,
and I don't mean to get you all P.O.'d. BUT......Where Chris is talking
about guiding, a Wisconsin fishing guide license has been sufficient for as
many years as I can remember. This is an inland lake, a fairly large one,
but still an inland lake. There's also not going to be six people in his
boat, three max. I can understand requiring the license if you're taking
groups way out on the Great Lakes or the ocean, in a large sport fishing
boat, but taking two guys in a 17 foot bassboat for smallies and the
occasional walleye???

Maybe they're not "flexing their muscles", maybe they're just doing their
job, but it would seem to me that the lake didn't suddenly get larger, or
more dangerous and that if a conventional guide license was good enough in
the past, it should be plenty good now. I just wonder if in this age of
budget cutbacks, they're seeing this license requirement,with the revenue
generated by tests and licenses and the subsequent fines if an operator
doesn't have one as a way of replacing lost funding?

Or (and again, this isn't said to anger you), maybe with budget cutbacks and
the threat of Coast Guard station closures, they're trying to justify their
existence by expanding into areas where they never had a significant
presence before?

I just don't see the need for additional licensing in this instance.
Responsibility? Yes. Knowledge? Certainly!! But not an expensive test
procedure like this one is.....

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Scott Seidman

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
:

Maybe they're not "flexing their muscles", maybe they're just doing
their job, but it would seem to me that the lake didn't suddenly get
larger, or more dangerous and that if a conventional guide license was
good enough in the past, it should be plenty good now. I just wonder
if in this age of budget cutbacks, they're seeing this license
requirement,with the revenue generated by tests and licenses and the
subsequent fines if an operator doesn't have one as a way of replacing
lost funding?

My bet is that administering the tests, and the testing program, is more
expensive than actually taking the tests. Its probably a line item expense
for the Coast Guard.

Scott
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Chris Rennert

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:24:47 -0500, AJH wrote:

I am not P'O'ed and I don't disagree with you on most things.
I think some of the requirements are crazy, like drug testing but it;s
just a sign of the times.
I am sure you know the CG does not required a license for waters that
are not ''navigable water of the USA"( located completely within the
state) many states do have licensing requirements.
I am not sure what it costs to get a CG license, It was free when I got
my license and a renewal but I am sure a free is involved now just like
other professional license's.

Right , that is what is crazy about Winnebago, technically it would be
navigable to Lake Michigan if it wasn't for the dam in Depere. There is
no way to get from Winnebago to Lake Michigan in my boat. So it confuses
me a bit.

Oh well, I don't mind getting the license because it keeps only serious
people guiding.

Thanks for everyones input, I will probably try to start down that road.

Chris