In today's Times

Old December 26th, 2003, 10:35 PM
bruiser

Default In today's Times

His midge emergers have a little quill body and a cdc or snowshoe emerger
wing. It looks like the one pictured except he points the wing backwards
instead of up and trims it short. Hopefully that's correct.

He showed me how to tie a snowshoe dun and because I'm always tying midges,
I orient my wing a little different on the bigger ones. Man is that a great
fly. It's really a great mayfly dun or emerger and it works in all types of
water.

bruce h

Old December 26th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Larry L

I'll be happy to donate my copy to the raffle, too G

MY take was not so much a push of various threads, rather a supreme example
of how desperate the fly fishing business is for "new **** to sell" ... in
this case new books

I am a fisherman of VERY modest ability, but I now believe I could publish a
book on fly fishing, if I come up with a new enough slant, certainly
magazine articles

As for flies and tippets .... I have actually caught trout up to about 14"
on 28 hooks and 8X ... one day, several years ago .... but it was very much
a "been there, done that" trophy hunt and I could have caught them on 18s
and 5X I'd bet.

I used to fish a Sage Light Line 2wt and 7x a LOT until one day on Silver
Creek, above that old broken down bridge near at the head end of the
conservancy, I hooked a truly large rainbow. He went down stream but the
water/ silt was too deep for me to follow. I held him ok and things seemed
to be going well until he started to really tire and then I realized that
the rod/ tippet weren't really strong enough to pull him upstream, even just
his weight not fighting me much. I would have just broken him off but it
was clear he was very tired, and I, like most of us, I'd bet, have seen very
tired fish just sink unable to right themselves without long, loving,
revival.

I finally compromised, tossed/ let drift some slack below him to urge him to
"fight" by heading toward me and went in over my waders into silt sticky/
deep enough to be scary at the same time. Soon a lunge with the net got
lucky and the last time I saw him, after a long revival, he seemed fine,
upright, wagging the water vigorously, ****ed I bet, but alive.

Since then, a 4 wt and 6x are the absolute lightest I use anywhere with
"real" fish, and limited ability to follow hooked fish, although I still
love the Light Line and use it when fish will be smaller and following them
if needed a real possiblility. Um, all that said, I picked up a TFO 4
piece 3wt not long ago and really liked it ... been trying to think of an
excuse to buy it ... don't have to be from Pennsylvania to be bonkers, I
guess

Old December 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Larry L" wrote

.. don't have to be from Pennsylvania to be bonkers, I
guess

maybe not, but it sure as hell helps.

yfitons
wayno

Old December 26th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Tom Littleton

wayno notes:
don't have to be from Pennsylvania to be bonkers, I
guess

maybe not, but it sure as hell helps.

damn, you're quick....beat me to that punchline!
Tom
Old December 26th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Tom Littleton" wrote in message
wayno notes:
don't have to be from Pennsylvania to be bonkers, I
guess

maybe not, but it sure as hell helps.

damn, you're quick....beat me to that punchline!
Tom

That or you Pennsylvania folks are just too lazy/intelligent/full/reluctant
to get up from the dinner-table and respond to posts in a timely manner!

Op --stop-watch ready--

Old December 26th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Wolfgang

"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote in message
.. .

Op --stop-watch ready--

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

Wolfgang
um......what was the question?

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Big Dale

Larry wrote:snip I picked up a TFO 4
piece 3wt not long ago and really liked it ... been trying to think of an
excuse to buy it ..

Let me help...think bluegill.

Big Dale
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Big Dale

Michael wrote:snipThey discovered that the bluegills would literally bite a
stick if they threw it in the water.

Course, these were small. The bigger ones do get a bit smarter, but they
don't seem to get really educated, like trout.

Target only those that weigh over 16 ounces on a scale. I doubt you will catch
over two the first year.

Big Dale
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Willi

Larry L wrote:

As for flies and tippets .... I have actually caught trout up to about 14"
on 28 hooks and 8X ... one day, several years ago .... but it was very much
a "been there, done that" trophy hunt and I could have caught them on 18s
and 5X I'd bet.

IMO, for many midge hatches, an 18 isn't going to get you many fish.

Willi