In today's Times

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Willi

Default In today's Times

Tom Littleton wrote:

come to Penns,Larry,
and you will forget
about midges, at least
in late May.
Tom

If Tom would just take care of the weather situation, I think Larry'd be
blown away by the hatches. When the river is blown out of its banks, the
bugs don't seem to like it and the fish don't rise too well.

Willi

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Willi

Big Dale wrote:
Michael wrote:snipThey discovered that the bluegills would literally bite a

stick if they threw it in the water.

Course, these were small. The bigger ones do get a bit smarter, but they
don't seem to get really educated, like trout.

Target only those that weigh over 16 ounces on a scale. I doubt you will catch
over two the first year.

Big Dale

Michael lives in Colorado like I do. Bluegills in CO tend to be very
small and are stunted in many/most places. Some of our lakes and ponds
do grow some big Crappie but although I'm sure there are some ponds with
bigger gills, I haven't found any.

Willi

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Willi

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Tim Lysyk wrote:

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Nice enough read, but Cognac in paper cups ?!? Gaaack.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/26/tr...es/26FISH.html

Not to mention fishing with a midge larvae using a dry fly as an
indicator!

Training wheels.

What puzzled me was his inability to fish midge emergers in the surface
film. Don't tell me you can't mimic that, I do it all the time. This
presents another opportunity for me to brag on Willi's midge emergers.
I've only got a handful left (hint, hint ;-), and they're the best damn
midge emergers I've ever used or ever seen being used.

I tend to change my patterns from year to year and so I'm not sure what
I sent you.

Willi

Old December 29th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Willi

Tom Littleton wrote:

Larry notes of"Midge Magic"

The book speaks of dozens and dozens of extremely slight color variations on
a basic "thread midge pupa" and continues on to talk with apparent
seriousness about size 32 hooks and 12X tippet !!!

....and is, as noted, a prime example of seeming rational types going
completely mad. Few books in the last decade ticked me off more than that one(I
own it as well, so don't be shocked if you get it as a raffle prize,
Penns-goers). Never have I seen an example of horse**** excess for no real
fishing gain in my life. No one can tell me the effectiveness of angling is
much improved by carrying or tying 80 different size 22-32 thread midge color
variations.

People on the San Juan have LOTS of different midge patterns in a range
of different sizes. I agree that it's not necessary to catch fish.

However, I'm sure you carry lots of different Mayfly patterns in a range
of sizes for your Penn's hatches. Maybe not so different for folks that
fish for trout that key on a variety of different midges.

Basically, under it all, is a shill for certain brands of threads, flosses and
such which I will not name, and an excuse to buy lots of different shades. As
for the tippet advice, I will defer to George Harvey, who once stated that no
one needs to use anything finer than 6x, anytime, if their presentation and
leader design are correct. Most of the time, he claimed 5x would suffice, as
well as lead to quick playing and landing of trout, which is in the health
interest of the trout itself.

I try and avoid using 6X. There's just not enough strength there to put
any serious pressure on a good fish. I find alot of difference between
6X and 5X.

Willi

Old December 30th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Tom Littleton

Willi notes:
However, I'm sure you carry lots of different Mayfly patterns in a range
of sizes for your Penn's hatche

have you seen the book in question, Willi?
I think, even on a midge stream(and we have a lot of really good midge streams
out here...the Tully for one) a basic larva pattern in a light, medium and dark
variation, with perhaps an olive thrown in will suffice, with a range of sizes.
The authors of this tome list litterally a dozen pages full of minor color
variations of the same larva design. Different designs, I can understand, and
that is what you would see in my mayflies as well as my midges.
Tom
Old January 1st, 2004, 01:45 AM
Willi

Tom Littleton wrote:

Willi notes:

However, I'm sure you carry lots of different Mayfly patterns in a range
of sizes for your Penn's hatche

have you seen the book in question, Willi?
I think, even on a midge stream(and we have a lot of really good midge streams
out here...the Tully for one) a basic larva pattern in a light, medium and dark
variation, with perhaps an olive thrown in will suffice, with a range of sizes.
The authors of this tome list litterally a dozen pages full of minor color
variations of the same larva design. Different designs, I can understand, and
that is what you would see in my mayflies as well as my midges.
Tom

No Tom, and I think I would have the same reaction as you did.

I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I was just trying to point out that
books and articles of this sort have been done with Mayflies for a
LONG time.

Willi