Le Core Shooting head?

Old March 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Spyda Man

Default Le Core Shooting head?

Aloha, Could someone please provide me a website with instructions on
how to make your own shooting head using lead core line? Also what's
decent material for the running line? I was told plain old mono is
fine. That true? Thanks!

Spy in Hawaii

Old March 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Mike Connor

"Spyda Man" wrote in message
Aloha, Could someone please provide me a website with instructions on
how to make your own shooting head using lead core line? Also what's
decent material for the running line? I was told plain old mono is
fine. That true? Thanks!

Spy in Hawaii

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/shootingheads/

TL
MC

Old March 21st, 2005, 07:02 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Spyda Man wrote:

Aloha, Could someone please provide me a website with instructions on
how to make your own shooting head using lead core line? Also what's
decent material for the running line? I was told plain old mono is
fine. That true? Thanks!

Use braided mono loop connectors such as Drew's Speed Loops from Umpqua.
Personally I like making my own. Tie a little nail knot at the based of
the braided loop and cover it with Aquaseal. My favorite running line is
Rio clear intermediate. Monofilament will give you the longest casts but
it is hard to handle and once you get a knot or kink in it, you're
basically done. Rio clear does not feel as slick in your hand as some
other lines but once it gets wet it is plenty slick. I think it's a good
compromise between shootability, handling, distance. I've used mono,
braided mono, Sicentiifc Anglers running line and Airflo Polyshoot and
like the Rio the best.

You'll need to figure out how long you want the shooting head to be.
You'll have to try out different lengths and cut back until you feel
comfortable. If you haven't used heavy shooting heads before you will get
better as time goes by and evernutally you may want to reconsider the
length of the head as you get more proficient.

Mu
Thousand Oaks, CA
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Spyda Man

Thanks for all the info and link, they are very helpful. Do you have an
online sorce for the flat mono running line? Nthing locally available
here in the islands. I do see braided nylon loops on ebay though.
Thanks again!

Spy in Hawaii