Where's Doug at?

Old August 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Where's Doug at?

Bored, I dug through the closet and found an old video "Strategies for
Selective Trout" with Doug Swisher that I hadn't viewed in many years.

He is fishing someplace where the vegetation and other small clues make me
think "east of Mississippi" but I could be wrong. Wherever it is it looks
like nifty water

..... where is Doug in this video? anybody know?

Old August 17th, 2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

Larry L wrote:
Bored, I dug through the closet and found an old video "Strategies for
Selective Trout" with Doug Swisher that I hadn't viewed in many years.

He is fishing someplace where the vegetation and other small clues make me
think "east of Mississippi" but I could be wrong. Wherever it is it looks
like nifty water

.... where is Doug in this video? anybody know?

No clue.

Are home from your summer jaunt already? I need to check your reports on
your web site. I haven't looked for a while.

Russell
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

Russell D. wrote:
Larry L wrote:
Bored, I dug through the closet and found an old video "Strategies for
Selective Trout" with Doug Swisher that I hadn't viewed in many years.

He is fishing someplace where the vegetation and other small clues make me
think "east of Mississippi" but I could be wrong. Wherever it is it looks
like nifty water

.... where is Doug in this video? anybody know?

No clue.

Are home from your summer jaunt already? I need to check your reports on
your web site. I haven't looked for a while.

Russell

Ah, I see. Your just taking a break. I know, hard life. ;-) Nice picture
of the deer in the river btw. Even nicer picture of the brown mountain
and the green field. I'd like to see a larger one of that one.

Russell

Spring creeks - fall - T**** River.

Old August 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Russell D." wrote

Ah, I see. Your just taking a break. I know, hard life. ;-) Nice picture
of the deer in the river btw. Even nicer picture of the brown mountain
and the green field. I'd like to see a larger one of that one.

Russell

Spring creeks - fall - T**** River.

I have an exceptionally slooooooow dialup connection here at home so I don't
tend to think in terms of larger pictures for the web ( I have images turned
off in my browser ... we connect at 26.4 on the best day )

However, I took a minute to provide you with a brief pastoral break from
your day g 3 of the 4 are taken within sight of Silver Creek ... the
fourth I bet you recognize :-) I didn't work too hard searching for "the
best" just grabbed a few for your brief diversion from work

http://www.kimshew.com/show/pastoral/show.php

Someday I intend to provide slideshows of my "better" photos from "purdy
places" As you may have guessed, I try hard to take a break each
fishing day and "just look at and feel" my surroundings ... trout have such
excellent taste in neighborhoods

This fall finds me more cash poor than I'd like. Add this summers terrible
water conditions, fires, heat and the uncertainty they bring to the Fall
conditions and this isn't a good year for me to go all the way back to the
"T" .... but, I still want to spend at least a couple three weeks there
sometime soon

Old August 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message
[...]

Great photos, the iced up sprinkler pic is probably my favorite, neat
stuff...

I know the location on Silver Creek where you took the photo of the deer. A
few years back I was in that location, it was a pretty calm day when all of
the sudden a huge gust came up and created one of those little whirl winds.
Despite my best attempt at keeping my hat on (I'm sure I looked like a
madman) the wind picked my hat up and sat it back down right in the middle
of the pool. Snubbing my nose at the rising fish and my failed attempt at
hooking the hat (difficult with a size 22 PT), I tromped out into the pool
and retrieved my hat.

JT

Old August 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JT" wrote

I know the location on Silver Creek where you took the photo of the deer.
A few years back I was in that location, it was a pretty calm day when all
of the sudden a huge gust came up and created one of those little whirl
winds. Despite my best attempt at keeping my hat on (I'm sure I looked
like a madman) the wind picked my hat up and sat it back down right in the
middle of the pool. Snubbing my nose at the rising fish and my failed
attempt at hooking the hat (difficult with a size 22 PT), I tromped out
into the pool and retrieved my hat.

based on ROFFian suggestions a few years back I got a Tilley Hat ( it's
great)

then one day in my kickboat on Yellowstone Lake I got asked for my permits
and realized they were in my other vest ... ( nice ranger did not ticket
me ) ... which gave me the idea of keeping them in the secret compartment of
the Tilley, which is always worn while fishing.

Well, it's easy to predict the next scene .. fat, old, bad knee and ankle
Larry moving with very surprising speed down wind and down a stream chasing
down a $70 hat with $100s worth of several out of state fishing licenses,
Yellowtone permits and my California license in it ... one expensive hat G
The hat no longer is home for the permits :-)

P.S. If you know where I was standing to take the deer shot ( on last entry
of my log), to my left and 10 foot down the stream ( river right ) is an
undercut bank ... under it is a Brown I'd honestly guesstimate at 24 inches.
As I finished my stalk and shooting of the deer it came out from the
undercut expecting the morning meal to start ... but saw me and quickly hid
..... you can count on that spot seeing one or two of my flies come Sept G

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

Larry L wrote:

However, I took a minute to provide you with a brief pastoral break from
your day g 3 of the 4 are taken within sight of Silver Creek ... the
fourth I bet you recognize :-) I didn't work too hard searching for "the
best" just grabbed a few for your brief diversion from work

http://www.kimshew.com/show/pastoral/show.php

Way cool, Larry. Thanks. You took me Home there for a few minutes.

Russell
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message

based on ROFFian suggestions a few years back I got a Tilley Hat ( it's
great)
then one day in my kickboat on Yellowstone Lake I got asked for my permits
and realized they were in my other vest ... ( nice ranger did not ticket
me ) ... which gave me the idea of keeping them in the secret compartment
of the Tilley, which is always worn while fishing.

I have the Tilley LTM6 AIRFLO, love the hat.

Well, it's easy to predict the next scene .. fat, old, bad knee and ankle
Larry moving with very surprising speed down wind and down a stream
chasing down a $70 hat with $100s worth of several out of state fishing
licenses, Yellowtone permits and my California license in it ... one
expensive hat G The hat no longer is home for the permits :-)

I have a $20.00 bill in the secret pocket, and have thought about sticking
my licenses in their too. Trouble is (like your vest situation) I don't
always wear the Tilley and I would most certainly forget the licenses.

P.S. If you know where I was standing to take the deer shot ( on last
entry of my log), to my left and 10 foot down the stream ( river right )
is an undercut bank ... under it is a Brown I'd honestly guesstimate at 24
inches. As I finished my stalk and shooting of the deer it came out from
the undercut expecting the morning meal to start ... but saw me and
quickly hid .... you can count on that spot seeing one or two of my flies
come Sept G

There are definitely some brutes in that creek. Probably *the* most humbling
fishing experiences I have ever had are on Silver Creek. First time fishing
it several years ago, my cousin and I pulled up to the Point of Rocks
parking lot. It looked as if someone was throwing gravel in the creek there
were so many fish rising (or sipping I should say). After about 4 hours of
changing flies, leaders, broke out the fluorocarbon, you name it, casting
into 15 - 20 fish pods, (I'm guessing, but there were a bunch & they weren't
spooking which was really odd) I hadn't gotten a fish. Finally threw on a
size 20 - 22 cripple, doped it to ride just under the surface film and
bingo.... Until then, I thought about hanging up the fly rod.

Enjoy your reports,
JT

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Larry L wrote:

http://www.kimshew.com/show/pastoral/show.php

wonderful photos... you should put a book together. or...if i get mine
off the ground, perhaps you'll contribute a few as illustrations. g

jeff
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"jeff" wrote

wonderful photos... you should put a book together. or...if i get mine
off the ground, perhaps you'll contribute a few as illustrations. g

jeff

My adorable bride ( of 31 years last Tuesday) is always after me to produce
one, but I'm guessing that is mainly an effort to keep me out of trouble
rather than a comment on my abilities

I started a volume of photos and accompanying text to be called "Wood Road
to Last Chance" as a loving portrait of a special spot. But, I came to
realize I actually feel that if images need accompanying words they are weak
images and if words need the help of pictures to convey their intended
meaning, they too are weak.

Since I've taken very few standalone photos and only found a single word
that comes close to expressing my wealth of knowledge .... i.e. "Duh" ....
my book is pretty thin thus far :-(

what's your book about? ....... I wish you luck