Spotted near Corfu

Old October 18th, 2004, 07:15 AM
nospamhereplease

Default Spotted near Corfu

Andy Crawford wrote:
SEAANGLING typed:

Send picture then we'll all know, cheers, Norman.

email address for personal contact please Norman

Why not post a pic here, then we can all see.
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Mcploppy ©

Hi all,

Have posted links to images here on behalf of my dad.

http://www.nj2t.net/personal/corfu_2.../DSC01303.html
http://tinyurl.com/6up6f

http://www.nj2t.net/personal/corfu_2.../DSC01302.html
http://tinyurl.com/3nwow

HTH
--
McPloppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

"Andy Crawford" wrote in message

The Big Man typed:

Sounds a bit like a garfish.

Thanks for the response.
I've had a look at one or two sites on garfish (and silverfish) and having
read the descriptions and looked at the various pictures displayed, feel
that this wasn't either of these. None of the descriptions match the one I
saw either in colour or profile.
I'd be happy to email a picture of it if it'd help satisfy my curiosity

--
Andy Crawford
www.chiadfhear.co.uk

Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Mcploppy ©

Further images can be seen he

http://www.chiadfhear.co.uk/temp/corfu_fish/
http://tinyurl.com/3o5d5

Mcploppy © typed:

Old October 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Brutus Gold

Hi Andy

Where abouts in corfu do you stay?

Jason

Old October 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Andy Crawford

Brutus Gold typed:

Hi Andy

Where abouts in corfu do you stay?

Jason

Aghios Gordios ... west coast

--
Andy Crawford
www.chiadfhear.co.uk

Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

Old October 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM
SEAANGLING

Looks like a gar or gar family

Old October 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Brutus Gold

Nice part of the Island, I have a house just outside Magoulades, between
Sidari and Arillas..

But ive never seen a fish like that

by the way some nice shots of Greek Food!

MMMMMMmmmmmmmythos!

Jason

Old October 19th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , Mcploppy ©
wrote:
Hi all,

Have posted links to images here on behalf of my dad.

&c. snips

I've had a look at one or two sites on garfish (and silverfish) and having
read the descriptions and looked at the various pictures displayed, feel
that this wasn't either of these. None of the descriptions match the one I
saw either in colour or profile.

I've done a bit of a chase on this one and, well, we'll come to that in a
moment.

First the pix show a long, nearly tubular (at the rear) body with a
continuous small fin running from the back of a prominent first dorsal with
a suggestion that there may be another dorsal fin close to the tail. The
tail is a distinct half-moon shape.

The eye is large and the fish does have a long snout of some sort.

I'm not happy with the pectoral fins but this does have a reasonably close
resemblance to the description of a surprising species:

++++++++++++++++++

Unit 3. Fish Ecology
* Outcome 2: Principle Commercial species in the Mediterranean.
Part 1: Mediterranean Commercial Important Species

Juan Ignacio de Leiva
Marine Resources Service
FAO Fisheries Department

General Features: (*asterisks my emphasis*)
*Body elongate and cylindrical.
*Upper jaw prolonged into a long bill.
*Eyes large.
Mouth not protrusible.
Fine, file-like teeth present in specimens of about 1 m (body length),
disappearing with growth.
Gill openings wide; no gillrakers.
*Two widely separate dorsal fins in adults **(continuous in immature
specimens)**, the first much larger than the second;
first dorsal with 34 to 49, second dorsal with 4 to 6 rays;
two separate anal fins in adults (continuous in immature specimens) the
first much larger than the second;
first anal with 13 or 14, second anal with 3 or 4 rays;
position of second anal fin slightly more forward than that of second
dorsal fin;
pectoral fins falcate, a little rigid and *situated low on body sides*,
with 16 to 18 rays;
pelvic fins absent;
*caudal fin large and lunate.
Caudal peduncle with a large keel present on each side and a deep notch
on both the dorsal and ventral surfaces;
anus situated near first anal fin origin.
Colour: back and sides of body blackish-brown, gradually fading to
light-brown on ventral side.

++++++++++++++++++

It's the juvenile features which are of interest. (Some of them I'd never
heard of. I have only ever seen a stuffed adult specimen.)

You really need to go through your video almost frame-by-frame to try and
get some glimpses of the other fins/features. No need to see the whole
fish in one frame if you can add together the kit of parts ;-)

In particular you need to make *certain* that it is not one of the
needlefish/garpike/houndfish group.

The description I have quoted continues:

++++++++++++++++++

The average weight in the Mediterranean Sea ranges from 115 to 160 kg.
Usually females are larger than males.

Swordfish (Xiphias gladius).

++++++++++++++++++

So, just for a change (it must be the very first time here) I think
you really might have seen a swordfish. 'Is it a swordfish?' sightings
turn out to be garfish better than a million times to one.

Congratulations, and -really- study that video 'cos I could still be wrong.

Cheerio,

Old October 19th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Andy Crawford

Derek.Moody typed:

In article , Mcploppy ©
wrote:
[...]

Derek
Many thanks for your response. I'll see what I can do about the video. It
was taken by a friend on a digital Sony so ... watch this space!

--
Andy Crawford
www.chiadfhear.co.uk

Remove "my boots" to e-mail me