Fiberglass rods

Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Lucky Luke

Default Fiberglass rods

Hello! I'm an italian angler. I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod of
about 6/7oz casting power.
I could not find what i look for, even searching on internet. It seems they
don't exist. Can anybody help me, please?

Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
SEAANGLING

I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod ofabout 6/7oz casting power.
Try the Conoflex Cobra Injection, if still made, or some of the Zziplex
Tournament rods. Cheers, Norman.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
SEAANGLING

Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:54 AM
malcolm

"Lucky Luke" wrote in message
Hello! I'm an italian angler. I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod of
about 6/7oz casting power.
I could not find what i look for, even searching on internet. It seems

they
don't exist. Can anybody help me, please?

a lot of rods nowdays use mixtures of materials,
the cheaper ones are either all fibreglass or all carbon,
with the the former you have a floppy rod,
with the latter a too brittle one that will break easily and cast like crap.
best combination is carbon butt, mixed middle,
and fibreglass tip with carbon or kevlar strands.

--
[AGB] malcolm

www.agbgaming.com
www.geocities.com/malc_hurn

Old October 23rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
Ian D

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:47:27 +0200, "Lucky Luke"
wrote:

Hello! I'm an italian angler. I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod of
about 6/7oz casting power.
I could not find what i look for, even searching on internet. It seems they
don't exist. Can anybody help me, please?

They do exist. Fibreglass rods are still made, and Lamiglass do some
excellent ones, but not of the type required. The only manufacturer I
know of who still makes fibreglass surf rods (I think) is the New
Zealand firm Kilwell, but I've never seen one of their rods anywhere.

Second hand glass sea-rods occasionally come up for sale on Ebay. At
the moment there are a couple of Abu rods - a 464 and a 484 -
advertised. The 484 is a fairly unusual version, with some features
not normally found on the British production version, and could reach
a fairly high price as it is likely to appeal to collectors. The 464
looks OK though.
I've recently seen a Hardy Moncrieff and a Conoflex Cod 5 there, and
both of these are good rods.

However unless there are good reasons for choosing a fibreglass rod
I'd be inclined to suggest a more modern carbon rod. There are some
excellent rods available in the cheaper price ranges, and you'd have a
much bigger choice available.

Cheers
Ian D
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Lucky Luke

"SEAANGLING" ha scritto nel messaggio
I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod ofabout 6/7oz casting power.

Try the Conoflex Cobra Injection, if still made, or some of the Zziplex
Tournament rods. Cheers, Norman.

Thanks a lot. I will try to find them.

Old October 24th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Lucky Luke

"malcolm" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Lucky Luke" wrote in message
Hello! I'm an italian angler. I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod

of
about 6/7oz casting power.
I could not find what i look for, even searching on internet. It seems

they
don't exist. Can anybody help me, please?

a lot of rods nowdays use mixtures of materials,
the cheaper ones are either all fibreglass or all carbon,
with the the former you have a floppy rod,
with the latter a too brittle one that will break easily and cast like

crap.
best combination is carbon butt, mixed middle,
and fibreglass tip with carbon or kevlar strands.

Ok. I know fishing rods but i'm looking for a particular one.
Thank you anyway.

Old October 24th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Lucky Luke

wrote:

Hello! I'm an italian angler. I'm looking for a 2 pieces fiberglass rod

of
about 6/7oz casting power.
I could not find what i look for, even searching on internet. It seems

they
don't exist. Can anybody help me, please?

They do exist. Fibreglass rods are still made, and Lamiglass do some
excellent ones, but not of the type required.

Exactly.

The only manufacturer I
know of who still makes fibreglass surf rods (I think) is the New
Zealand firm Kilwell, but I've never seen one of their rods anywhere.

Ok. I will try to look on internet.

Second hand glass sea-rods occasionally come up for sale on Ebay. At
the moment there are a couple of Abu rods - a 464 and a 484 -
advertised. The 484 is a fairly unusual version, with some features
not normally found on the British production version, and could reach
a fairly high price as it is likely to appeal to collectors. The 464
looks OK though.
I've recently seen a Hardy Moncrieff and a Conoflex Cod 5 there, and
both of these are good rods.

Do they match my requirements?

However unless there are good reasons for choosing a fibreglass rod
I'd be inclined to suggest a more modern carbon rod. There are some
excellent rods available in the cheaper price ranges, and you'd have a
much bigger choice available.

I already have carbon rods and i have fiberglass rods and i find fiberglass
ones more flexible and more confortable. They flex more than carbon and
casting is more smooth.
But for long casting a very strong one is needed.

Besides this, there is another and more important reason why i'm looking for
a fiberglass one. The reason is that i can fish more safely during a storm

Cheers
Ian D

Old October 25th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Chris Mitchell

During a storm any rod is likely to be wet, hence it doesn't matter what
it's made of you still run the risk of lightning strike.