Where to fish?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Andy

Default Where to fish?

I hope someone can help with my quest!

I have a young son who is bursting to have a go at fishing. He is
particularly keen to eat anything that he might catch, so I thought sea
fishing would be just the job. However I am no angler and have no idea where
I should take him...

I am based in the Reading area, so the obvious venues are either Southsea or
Hayling Island. Are either of these suitable for a young lad with a rod,
reel, spinners and a few feathers? As the rod is quite short, casting miles
from the beach is not an option. What do the panel suggest, bearing in mind
the priority is to have fun (this is a potential hobby so I don't want to
put him off) and perhaps catch nothing more exotic than perhaps a mackerel?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andy.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
david

The question is not where to fish, but WHEN.

Where's there's water there'll be fish, as a rule, but they wont take the
bait if they arent feeding.

Harbours after rain ...bad.

Harbours at a change in tide or ebbing tide = good, because there's food
there floating out and the fish come to gobble it up.

With a short rod try the harbours and fish off walls and piers. Load the rod
with 4 - 8lb line I should think and use chopped mackeral as bait, mayby lug
or ragworm, maybe a lure. Fish aren;'t THAT bright and will either eat most
things or nothing.

In a harbour you can float fish with bait too, which works well.

Wherever you want to go, and as I said, if tyere's water there's fish, pop
into a local tackle shop and ask them for their advice. then buy something
from them!

My son started me off this way last year or so, we knew nothing at all about
fishing (still don't know that much) but it soon comes together and we catch
most times we go out. As you say, whether it's a tiny thing or a monster it
doesn't really matter - it's all fun with ones kids.

You'll get good advice here (better than from me too) it's just few and far
bewteen.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

David

Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Andy
wrote:
I hope someone can help with my quest!

I have a young son who is bursting to have a go at fishing. He is

How old is he?

particularly keen to eat anything that he might catch, so I thought sea

I am based in the Reading area, so the obvious venues are either Southsea or

Slightly OT but there is a good deal of excellent freshwater fishing in your
area - and one exciting (for a youngster) freshwater quarry is the signal
crayfish. Like a mini lobster it will swarm over a bit of rotten meat in a
dropnet after dark. The Kennet & Avon canal around Reading is swarming with
them. They were protected (by a quirk of law - the native crayfish is still
protected but there are none left near you.) until this year, you get a
licence (free I think, but you must carry it) from the Post Office. Drop
crayfish into fast boiling water, cook for 5 minutes, drain and serve with
dill sauce.

Hayling Island. Are either of these suitable for a young lad with a rod,
reel, spinners and a few feathers? As the rod is quite short, casting miles

Neither would be my first choice for a young angler - a teenager might
manage OK. When he has learned to cast a sliding float and trot down the
tide they would be good venues to try with a ragworm just tripping along the
bottom (in the harbour channels) for a winter flounder. If starting from
scratch he is not likely to be up to it this year.

If you're going that way then consider continuing onto the Isle of Wight
where there are several more suitable venues.

Hmmm. Mudeford (though not the first couple of trips), Hurst and Poole
would be better too. Anyone here know whether Brighton Marina would be
worthwile for a beginner? I've never fished it but it looked the biz.

You want access to a bit of deepish*, preferably clear water from a safe
shore vantage. A harbourside (with railings for the very young) or a rocky
shore. Ideally a west-country type venue.

Feathers are not suitable for a beginner when shore fishing. They are
dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced and tend to tangle so freely
that much of the time is spent unravelling them. Small spinners, OK.
Middle sized floating plugs - also OK. For a beginner though the float is
by far the best introduction.

Cheerio,

*deepish water is -not- necessarily the best fishing. It is the easiest for
a beginner who will not have the skills to avoid scaring large fish in
shallow water.

Old August 24th, 2005, 06:39 AM
malcolm

Andy wrote:
I hope someone can help with my quest!

I have a young son who is bursting to have a go at fishing. He is
particularly keen to eat anything that he might catch, so I thought sea
fishing would be just the job. However I am no angler and have no idea where
I should take him...

I am based in the Reading area, so the obvious venues are either Southsea or
Hayling Island. Are either of these suitable for a young lad with a rod,
reel, spinners and a few feathers? As the rod is quite short, casting miles
from the beach is not an option. What do the panel suggest, bearing in mind
the priority is to have fun (this is a potential hobby so I don't want to
put him off) and perhaps catch nothing more exotic than perhaps a mackerel?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andy.

what I would give for a couple of fresh Mackeral
Mackeral are prob the best tasting fish you can catch anyway,
peppered and fried mmmmmmm.
Explain that fishing on the beach is an experience, like an expedition
sand, sun, darkness, food and drink, seagulls, sand fleas etc etc.
and maybe some fish too.
people who just want to catch fish go boat fishing.
Sounds like a day fishing trip, so take a camera and seashore wildlife
book too, small children can get bored just fishing, wildlife
exploration gives it a broader meaning.
plus gloves and a few plastic bags to pick up some litter too.
always helps keep the beach clean.
regards malcolm
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM
david

Slightly OT but there is a good deal of excellent freshwater fishing in
your
area - and one exciting (for a youngster) freshwater quarry is the signal
crayfish. Like a mini lobster it will swarm over a bit of rotten meat in
dropnet after dark. The Kennet & Avon canal around Reading is swarming
with
them. They were protected (by a quirk of law - the native crayfish is
still
protected but there are none left near you.) until this year, you get a
licence (free I think, but you must carry it) from the Post Office. Drop
crayfish into fast boiling water, cook for 5 minutes, drain and serve with
dill sauce.

Nothing in dill sauce is OT Derek! I might go and try that.

Does one leave the net for hours whilst in the pub, or minutes?

David

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Andy

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , Andy
wrote:
I hope someone can help with my quest!

I have a young son who is bursting to have a go at fishing. He is

How old is he?

One is 5, the other is 7. I think the 5 year old will have difficulty with
the casting part, but should be fine with the rest. This is another reason
for looking for a place where any fish caught would be small!

[...]

This sound great for the kids. I actually live very close to the Kennet &
Avon canal so I would like to give this a try. How do you do this? The fact
the catch can be eaten is perfect - my kids have the idea that any fish
caught are for eating, hence my initial thoughts about sea angling.

Hayling Island. Are either of these suitable for a young lad with a rod,
reel, spinners and a few feathers? As the rod is quite short, casting
miles

Neither would be my first choice for a young angler - a teenager might
manage OK. When he has learned to cast a sliding float and trot down the
tide they would be good venues to try with a ragworm just tripping along
the
bottom (in the harbour channels) for a winter flounder. If starting from
scratch he is not likely to be up to it this year.

Point taken.

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Andy

"malcolm" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
[...]

This is my thinking exactly. Given that my son is very keen to try fishing
and my daughter is fairly curious about it, I don't want the initial
experience to put them off. My intention is to keep expectations low and
emphasise the fun aspects. As you say, at their ages, there is so much more
to a day trip that happens to include a bit of fishing rather than a fishing
only trip that, at least initially, is very likely to yield no fish.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for the replies so far, they
have all been very informative and encouraging.

Regards,

Andy.

Old August 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM
ecky-h

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

If you have a car for transport then you could try at Weston Shore In

Southampton, There is a long disused oil jetty reaching out into the
Southampton water that you can fish from, you could drop the wife at the
shopping center and spend the rest of the day fishing. There is also a stone
beach that the kiddies can play on when they get fedup..Rick.

Attached Images
File Type: gif p.gif (296 Bytes, 289 views)
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , david
wrote:

Slightly OT but there is a good deal of excellent freshwater fishing in
your
area - and one exciting (for a youngster) freshwater quarry is the signal
crayfish. Like a mini lobster it will swarm over a bit of rotten meat in
dropnet after dark. The Kennet & Avon canal around Reading is swarming
with
them. They were protected (by a quirk of law - the native crayfish is
still
protected but there are none left near you.) until this year, you get a
licence (free I think, but you must carry it) from the Post Office. Drop
crayfish into fast boiling water, cook for 5 minutes, drain and serve with
dill sauce.

Nothing in dill sauce is OT Derek! I might go and try that.

Does one leave the net for hours whilst in the pub, or minutes?

At this time of year, two minutes. In really cold weather, 15.

It is another method that works far better after dark. You need a heavy rim
(wire or small bicycle wheel rim) so the net sits hard on the bottom and the
crayfish climb over it rather than crawling underneath. Three strings from
the rim to a cork (keeps them floating out of the way) and then a single
string to the bank. Another string across the middle with the -smelly- bait
tied in the centre. Wait quietly and listen to the night, then when ready
pull the net in a single smooth movement - jerks let the catch escape.

Have a large bucket ready for the catch.

Cheerio,

Old August 24th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Derek.Moody

wrote:
I hope someone can help with my quest!

I have a young son who is bursting to have a go at fishing. He is

How old is he?

One is 5, the other is 7. I think the 5 year old will have difficulty with
the casting part, but should be fine with the rest. This is another reason
for looking for a place where any fish caught would be small!

Ah, rather younger than I thought.

The 5 year old will have an attention span around an hour, the elder maybe
twice as long. They will require considerable attention and I wouldn't take
them together until they have enough experience to manage the basics for
themselves - three or four sessions each in all probablility. You *could*
take them together if you have another, patient and preferably experienced
adult with you to take half the workload.

Another - slightly risky ploy would be to make a day out of a split treat
(Say you take #1 fishing while #2 goes to the pool with Mum then swap over
for the afternoon.)

re Crayfish

This sound great for the kids. I actually live very close to the Kennet &
Avon canal so I would like to give this a try. How do you do this? The fact

See other post.

the catch can be eaten is perfect - my kids have the idea that any fish
caught are for eating, hence my initial thoughts about sea angling.

With kids that age I would leave sea fishing until you are at a suitable
seaside venue for at least a weekend. Try to get in one or two -short-
sessions each per day a and they'll pick things up much faster.

Tbh I would prefer to start them on a small, really small, stream.
Otherwise a seaside pier -with railings- would let them dangle a small bait
down the side with a good chance of a few tiddlers.

They would have as much fun in rock pools with a hand net...

Cheerio,