Understanding Rods

Old November 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
CapStick

Default Understanding Rods

"Handy Andy" wrote in message
OZ = for use in Australia only

Thats gonna be sooooooooooooome Cast !

---

Old November 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM
CapStick

Thanks for the Answers

Bothy sensible and Sad

LOL

Due to circumstances beyond my control, i can only fish a few rock marks,
near where i live, in cornwall.

So i intend to use this rod, for fishing over rough rock, using 6 oz casting
lead, on paternoster rig.

or sliding Float Method.

I will have to haul, any fish caught, up the rockface of a local mark, about
30 feet.

So i think, that, as its been confirmed, "its a bit on the heavy side",
i may be on the right track for this sort of fishing... ? Y/N
opinions please (both funny and serious)

I am coarse angler trying Sea angling.

---

Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:06 AM
Alex

"John" wrote in message
I use a 12ft rod rated at 4 to 6 oz over rough rocky marks and find it
adequate for the job, although a 6 to 8 oz would probably be ideal. 8 to

10
oz sounds like overkill. You won't get much sport unless you hook

something
pretty big.

With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.

Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
Gray

"Alex" wrote in message pretty big.
With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.

With respect some of us don't have the funding to go on the boats

because when we are fishing the wife's shopping HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and personally I prefer to be able to take a break from fishing when I want
to rather than having to wait until the boat moves marks

--
Regards

Gray

---

Old November 22nd, 2003, 12:12 PM
Antony Wills

I to am from Cornwall, I use a 4oz to 6oz 12ft rod, (original tip tornado)
for most marks I fish as my 13ft rods tend to be a little bit long when
casting in a cramped space, Iv'e had no problems so far, just don't try to
haul monster fish up a cliff face, use a gaff, or a flying gaff, or hand
line them.

---

Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:42 AM
Alex

"Gray" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message pretty big.
With respect, I cannot see you getting sport with any beachcaster.

With respect some of us don't have the funding to go on the boats

I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather the
general stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with one
called be called sport.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 01:26 AM
CapStick

Thanks again for the replies.

Turns out it is 6-8oz and "Not 8-10" as i previously stated.

I do understand the good sport bit.

---

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
SEAANGLING

I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather thegeneral
stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with onecalled be
called sport.

The casting of large baits and sometimes leads requires something slightly more
powerful than a fly rod or spinning rod, it does not, IMHO, make the angler any
less sporting. Fishing too light can cause the fish to be tired beyond the
point of recovery, not a very sporting ethic. Get the fish in quickly and it
can be returned just as quickly if not required, cheers, Norman.

Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
Alex

"SEAANGLING" wrote in message
I was not making a comparison with boat and beach fishing, rather

thegeneral
stiffness of a beachcaster and whether landing a fish with onecalled be
called sport.

The casting of large baits and sometimes leads requires something slightly

more
powerful than a fly rod or spinning rod, it does not, IMHO, make the

angler any
less sporting. Fishing too light can cause the fish to be tired beyond the
point of recovery, not a very sporting ethic. Get the fish in quickly and

it
can be returned just as quickly if not required, cheers, Norman.

Fishing at 200mts plus with a 5oz lead using the movement of the rod tip to
detect a bite, means that any small fish has probably swallowed the bait
before the angler is aware that he has a bite. which means it will probobly
die.
In actual fact many small fish are already hooked, this only being apparent
when reeling in to re-bait.
I appreciate that certain conditions may mean that beachcasters are used,
matches being one that springs to mind as catching the most fish by any
means is the goal. The other being catching Cod for dinner table.
Howerver IMHO catching fish with a beachcaster, especially those rods
designed for the tournamount field, cannot be described as sport.