HatEyes Magnifiers are evil!!!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default HatEyes Magnifiers are evil!!!

These are the industrial strength magnifiers that clip to your hat
brim. Just flip them down, bobs your uncle, instant magnifiers to tie
on that fly. Not cheap crap, but optically ground plastic with a
steel frame.
The evil downside. I've got a hat from a Pennsylvania flyshop (will
be named in the personal injury lawsuit). The hat brim comes pre-
curved so it will never work as semi-formal "gansta" wear (i.e. pool
table flat brim, hat cocked 45 degrees to starboard or port). Due to
this severe curve, the HatEyes will not slide up under the brim of
this hat when I'm done tying on fly number 63. No big deal.
Okay, I'm on a lake, middle of August, bright sunshine, 2 p.m., fish
is directly ahead of me to the West, I inch back the fly, twitch,
burn, HOLEY CRAP! MY UPPER LIP IS ON FIRE!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
MY NOSE HAIRS BURST INTO FLAME!!! CRAP!! BAD WORD, BAD WORD, BAD
WORD!!! ITS THE MAGEYES!!! THEY'VE TURNED INTO MAGNIFYING GLASSES
AND MY UPPER LIP IS THE ANT NEST!!!
I swear to God. I now have two blisters on my upper lip. Each about
the size of a pencil eraser and sligtly square.
Think its time to grow a mustache before Monday or I'm gonna take SO
much crap at work.
Frank Reid
(maybe I just say I went to the dermatologist and had a couple of
suspicious spots burned off)
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

You are writing a book about the peril of flyfish right.......Well in
you case maybe it should be the perils of Frank Reid
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
chas

Frank_Reid_©_2008 wrote:
[...]

I had one of those 6 inch diameter magnifiers on a snorkle on my fly tying
table a few years ago. The table was by the window so on those rare days when
I tied durring the day I could get a bit better light. One day the sun came
out while I was at work, and the magnifier helped it burn a slot in my hat, and
a long brown burn in the table. Fortunately it didn't light the house on fire.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old August 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

I had one of those 6 inch diameter magnifiers on a snorkle on my fly tying
table a few years ago. *The table was by the window so on those rare days when
I tied durring the day I could get a bit better light. *One day the sun came
out while I was at work, and the magnifier helped it burn a slot in my hat, and
a long brown burn in the table. *Fortunately it didn't light the house on fire.

I would wear that hat as a badge of honor.
Frank Reid
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Frank Reid © 2008 writes:

be named in the personal injury lawsuit). The hat brim comes pre-
curved......

I'll be SO GLAD when this trend dies.

burn, HOLEY CRAP! MY UPPER LIP IS ON FIRE!!!

ROFLMAO!!...

AND MY UPPER LIP IS THE ANT NEST!!!

ROFLMAO II!!.....

You have my utmost sympathy. By all means, sue the crap out of 'em, jes
hold for enough to get all that new Sage high end stuff. I got eyeglass
clipons, but they were designed for the current trend of squinty-eye'd
glasses styles, not older aviator style. OTOH, not dependent on my hat,
which I can adjust to shade my mags.

nb
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

Frank, the same thing has happened to me numerous times. After I had
cataracts removed in both eyes and new lenses implanted, I only need
glasses for reading and up-close work. I gradeated to a set of Orvis
sunglasses with the small magnifiers built into the lower portion of
glass. Works better than the flip-downs, except for those wonderful
caddis hatches on the Rapid that start at dusk and continue into the
darkness.

Old August 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Well, I've discovered that the pain in the upper lip masked the pain
in the lower lip. I have a 3/4" blister along my lower lip and I've
not been able to shave all week. I make light of it all, but in all
honesty, IT HURTS LIKE HELL!!!
Yesterday at a meeting, they had snacks out. Whilst talking to
someone on a break, I mindlessly grabbed a handful of potato chips.
The guy I was talking to said later that I looked like someone had
kicked me in the nuts.
Frank Reid