Bait net help

Old June 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
mgarvie

Default Bait net help

I figured someone here would know what I'm looking for so here goes.

I saw a bait net once that had a round hoop about the size of a bicycle tire
for the opening, with a ten foot or so net attached to it. It was made for
pulling behind a boat and getting minows, shad, and such for bait. Any
ideas what its called?

Old June 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Putain

"mgarvie" wrote in message
m...
I figured someone here would know what I'm looking for so here goes.

I saw a bait net once that had a round hoop about the size of a bicycle

tire
for the opening, with a ten foot or so net attached to it. It was made

for
pulling behind a boat and getting minows, shad, and such for bait. Any
ideas what its called?

Nets to catch bait tend to be scoop, dip, umbrella and casting nets.
I've never run across any net designed to catch baitfish to be used from a
boat.
Your description, which would resemble a wind anchor, sounds more like a
stationary net to be planted in rivers for eels.

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Cyli

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:07:36 GMT, "Putain"
wrote:

"mgarvie" wrote in message
om...
I figured someone here would know what I'm looking for so here goes.

I saw a bait net once that had a round hoop about the size of a bicycle

tire
for the opening, with a ten foot or so net attached to it. It was made

for
pulling behind a boat and getting minows, shad, and such for bait. Any
ideas what its called?

Nets to catch bait tend to be scoop, dip, umbrella and casting nets.
I've never run across any net designed to catch baitfish to be used from a
boat.
Your description, which would resemble a wind anchor, sounds more like a
stationary net to be planted in rivers for eels.

My dad had one that he probably bought back in the 30s or 40s, as it
wasn't new when I first recall it. But he used it for behind a slow
trolling boat and it was to hold live bait, not catch it. I don't
know when or why he got rid of it, but he switched over to using the
conventional minnow bucket that sat in the boat bottom and could be
regularly dunked for water changes for the minnows.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
mgarvie

Default Woohoo!! found it!

I found it! A shad trawl.

http://www.texastastes.com/p138.htm