pan fish?

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM
rbreeze

Default pan fish?

I'm pretty new and there isn't any trout fishing around here so I was
wondering what types of flies ,and in what sizes, I would want for
panfishing streams and small impoundments around Central Ohio?
Sure could use any help I can get. I have an 8 foot fly rod and reel with #5
dt floating line on it. Would I want to maybe go to a wf line?
THanx,
Rick

Old March 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Mark W. Oots

Rick,

While a WF line is easier to cast, especially with bulky flies, it isn't
necessary.

As for flies to try, small poppers always do well for panfish after the
water warms up. I have great luck with the Trim Gim in white, yellow, black
or orange (different colors for different waters or times of day).
I also do well with small gurglers in black or white. Until the water warms
up, I use various nymphs, Bett's Bee, ants of various types....

Blue Gills, Green Sunfish, Red Ear (shellcrackers for those of you down
south), Rock Bass....all are pretty much suicidal and will hit nearly
anything that fits in their mouths and some things that won't (I've caught
panfish on crankbaits and spinnerbaits (even 3/4 oz). Crappie are harder to
catch, mainly because they are hard to find, though if you can find a school
of them while the water is still cold, a fly rod can be deadly. Just be
ready to lose a lot of flies when fishing around wood and weeds where the
crappie usually are found.

If you'd like a list of things to try....

Bett's Bee, Hares Ear Nymph, Prince Nymph, Black Fur Ant, Red Fur Ant, Brown
Fur Ant, Zug Bug,Wooley Bugger (black, brown, white, olive),...till the
water warms up...

Trim Gim (yellow or white), Gurgler (Black, White, Yellow), Blue Gill
Special (Yellow or white), Sponge Spider (any color) or for extra fun use
small dry flies...(even try the top water approach while the water is colder
than you think it should be for top water)

Keep everythign small ( don't go bigger than size 10 on anything, sz 12 for
most or even smaller, unless you're trying for Crappie or big Red Ear.
The really big fun comes when a 4 pound LMB or Smallie hits your size 14
prince nymph....(or sz 12 popper or whatever)

Tight Lines,
Mark

---