Fly Shop Review: Leland Outfitters

Old April 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default Fly Shop Review: Leland Outfitters

Okay, I'm stuck in San Francisco for a week of computer geek
conference. What do I do? I google up "San Francisco" and "fly
fishing" and come up with Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters at 463 Bush
St. http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/
Okay, its just outside the entrance to China Town and I'm staying in
Union Square so I'll wander over.
Hmm, pretty nice shop. Lotta Simms and Fishpond. Good set of books
too. I ended up buying a fly fishing mystery novel called "The
Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood.
I'm talking to the owner, swaping stories and the place is getting
better and more crowded. These guys LOVE to fish, they love the
industry and they're expanding (which is contrary to the downsizing of
the industry norm, i.e. going out of business). Seems that they pride
themselves on their customer service. It really shows. Wow, what a
concept. I believe that's why they're so successful.
Ian, their on-line guru took me on a tour of the shop. They've
recently taken over the ground floor of their building, as they were
previously in the basement. I mention fly tying and they show me the
back room and basement with racks of fly tying materials. Hmm,
what's this? A professional photo studio? Well, that's for their
"Upgrade Program." http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/p.aspx?mlid=2360
I'm intrigued.
Ian explains the program. You send them some old equipment (rods,
reels, vises....). They'll even send you a shipping label and pay for
the shipping. They research the item, write it up, take at least 5
pictures and sell it for you on Ebay. I glanced at some of their Ebay
items and they have some great write ups. They deduct the Ebay and
Paypal fees from the final sale price and send you a store credit.
Its good for two reasons, you don't have to worry about all the Ebay
wheeling and dealing (and possible ripoffs), Paypal payoffs, write ups
and photos. They get your business from the store credit. Yeh, you
can roll your own, but this takes care of it in one fell swoop. This
is also a great idea if your club gets a bunch of donated stuff.
Leland sells it for you and you can raffle off the store coupon (or
just say "you've won a set of Simms waders. Here's the number to
call, just tell them your size). I like it.
Finally, the owner donated a Ross Flywater 2 reel and line to my
club's Spring Fling. They didn't know me from Adam, I didn't ask, but
they like working with clubs.
There are so few fly shops left and this one seems to be doing all the
right stuff. They are knowledgeble, helpful, they're doing some
unique marketing and sales and they have a great location. Check 'em
out online or drop by an visit when you're in town. Also. looks like
they have some great trips to book.
Standard disclaimer, I've no fiscal interest in this shop and have
only been there once.
Frank Reid
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-04-07, Frank Reid wrote:

Standard disclaimer, I've no fiscal interest in this shop and have
only been there once.

Sounds like a great shop. Did you get any info on where to fish for
anything other than hatchery fish? Don't forget to give the Golden Gate
Park casting pools a visit. Lotta history, there.

nb
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Frank Reid" wrote in

Hmm, pretty nice shop.

According to my sources (a fly shop owner for 20 years ), 6 NorCal fly shops
have closed since Dec of 2007 !!

Larry L ( who was recently told, in strong terms, by his normally mild
mannered wife, that shopping at Cabela's or Bass Pro was NOT ALLOWED any
longer ... seems she had been reading about their business practices ... I
quote her, "I don't care if it costs more ... shop elsewhere !! )

Old April 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-04-08, Larry L wrote:

Larry L ( who was recently told, in strong terms, by his normally mild
mannered wife, that shopping at Cabela's or Bass Pro was NOT ALLOWED any
longer ... seems she had been reading about their business practices ... I
quote her, "I don't care if it costs more ... shop elsewhere !! )

What "business practices" would that be? I'm not a big customer of
Cabela's, but they carry some stuff no one else does and at prices often
condiderably less than the competition.

nb
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

I ended up buying a fly fishing mystery novel called "The
Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood.

It's a pretty wild read. I think you will enjoy it. You might also want to
check out his book "Covered Waters" and his woods cop mystery series about a
UP game warden. He's a great fly fisherman with one hell of an imagination.

Old April 9th, 2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"notbob" wrote

What "business practices" would that be? I'm not a big customer of
Cabela's, but they carry some stuff no one else does and at prices often
condiderably less than the competition.

My wife had just read a book called "Free Lunch" with a long subtitle about
how wealthy people get richer and richer via government subsidies at tax
payer expense ... not sure exactly what exactly ticked her off so
strongly, but it's not like her ....

I mentioned the two big companies because they are directly related to the
closure of many 'mom and pop' sporting goods places in NorCal/ Nevada the
last year

Old April 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Apr 8, 8:30*pm, "Larry L" wrote:
"notbob" wrote

What "business practices" would that be? *I'm not a big customer of
Cabela's, but they carry some stuff no one else does and at prices often
condiderably less than the competition.

My wife had just read a book called "Free Lunch" *with a long subtitle about
how wealthy people get richer and richer via government subsidies at tax
payer expense *... * not sure exactly what exactly ticked her off so
strongly, but it's not like her ....

I mentioned the two *big companies because they are directly related to the
closure of many 'mom and pop' sporting goods places in NorCal/ Nevada the
last year

Since we now have a Cabela's in Omaha and a Bass Pro across the river
in Council Bluffs, the last place in town selling fly fishing stuff
other than these two quit that business about a month ago.
Frank Reid
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:30:09 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

"notbob" wrote

What "business practices" would that be? I'm not a big customer of
Cabela's, but they carry some stuff no one else does and at prices often
condiderably less than the competition.

My wife had just read a book called "Free Lunch" with a long subtitle about
how wealthy people get richer and richer via government subsidies at tax
payer expense ... not sure exactly what exactly ticked her off so
strongly, but it's not like her ....

FWIW, the "wealthy people" pay more, dollar-wise and percentage-wise,
than, well, non-wealthy people, many of who pay little or nothing in any
tax but sales tax. As such, the "wealthy people" ARE the (primary)
tax-payers, so they really aren't getting richer as they would only be
getting _some_ of their own money back. The whole idea of "rich
people," as a subset, getting money from poor ones, as a subset, via
taxation (in the US) simply isn't true. In fact, the subset which pays
the least (or no) tax is the one getting the most, as a percentage of
total wealth, at "tax-payer expense." Moreover, whether you like it or
not, companies like Wal-Mart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc., provide a huge
amount of positive economic impact on local and national economies.

I mentioned the two big companies because they are directly related to the
closure of many 'mom and pop' sporting goods places in NorCal/ Nevada the
last year

Now this is almost certainly true, but it has nothing to do with the
business practices of any of the sellers, but rather, the preferences of
the buyers. This, in real terms, is a valid reason to shop at "mom and
pop" places rather than Cabela's, etc. if you wish to have the smaller
stores remain around. It's all in customer preference, at the end of
the day - Sam's Club might sell all sorts of expensive jewelry (they do,
in fact), but I don't see them putting Tiffany's out of business...

HTH,
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:30:09 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

"notbob" wrote

[...]

Just when you think the boy couldn't POSSIBLY get any more grotesque!

Wolfgang
who knows that the real value of usenet in general, and roff in particular,
is that they preclude the possibility of losing one's sense of amazement.

Old April 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Apr 9, 6:53*am, wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:30:09 GMT, "Larry L"

wrote:

"notbob" wrote

[...]

The purpose of the graduated income tax is not to be fair but to
prevent the demoracy from turning into a plutocracy and in turn into
an kleptocracy and foolocracy.
As the rich get richer they seem to think it's their right to steal
more by whatever means ( You know - like starting a war to get oil
prices up or getting the oportunity to sell pickle slices for $.50
each. ).
As the natural progression goes along they start to belive they are
smart because they are rich. As they seperate themselves from the hoi-
poli they interbreed till we get the fooloracy. (Google up the
Hapsbergs and the Romanovs).
So the tax code is really to protect you and your ilk. Sooner or the
later the revolution occurs and bourgeois get hauld off to the
gillitoine.