Picture yourself on a road to a river....

Old July 7th, 2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Picture yourself on a road to a river....

Imagine that you were in Indianapolis, had a rental car with unlimited
mileage, and had a general plan to drive from Indy, to DC, then up to
Maine. Also imagine that you had tent, sleeping bag, and about 6 days
to make this trek. Lastly, imagine that you were hoping to have days
that fell in the category of 'wake up, drive a few hours, make camp,
fish until dark, sleep". What would be a really great route and
itinerary that connected with some excellent fishing water?

Thanks in advance. :-)

--riverman
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"riverman" wrote in message
Imagine that you were in Indianapolis, had a rental car with unlimited
mileage, and had a general plan to drive from Indy, to DC, then up to
Maine. Also imagine that you had tent, sleeping bag, and about 6 days
to make this trek. Lastly, imagine that you were hoping to have days
that fell in the category of 'wake up, drive a few hours, make camp,
fish until dark, sleep". What would be a really great route and
itinerary that connected with some excellent fishing water?

Thanks in advance. :-)

--riverman

Personally...I'd shoot it on over to Penns Creek and hook up with
Littleton...just outside of State College, PA

....John

Old July 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jul 6, 11:19*pm, riverman wrote:
Imagine that you were in Indianapolis, had a rental car with unlimited
mileage, and had a general plan to drive from Indy, to DC, then up to
Maine. Also imagine that you had tent, sleeping bag, and about 6 days
to make this trek.

You contact the guy from ROFF who actually lives in Indianapolis and
who just did that.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 7, 10:04*pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On Jul 6, 11:19*pm, riverman wrote:

Imagine that you were in Indianapolis, had a rental car with unlimited
mileage, and had a general plan to drive from Indy, to DC, then up to
Maine. Also imagine that you had tent, sleeping bag, and about 6 days
to make this trek.

You contact the guy from ROFF who actually lives in Indianapolis and
who just did that.

Speaking of which, wanna get together for a beer and a burger tomorrow
(Tuesday)? I'm on the NW part of town, and have my rental car and a
GPS. If not tomorrow, I'm free Thursday night also. I'm even up for
casting to some smallies somewhere nearby, since it seems to get dark
here around 10PM...

You can send me an email, or post here. :-)

--riverman
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"riverman" wrote in message

Speaking of which, wanna get together for a beer and a burger tomorrow
(Tuesday)? I'm on the NW part of town, and have my rental car and a
GPS. If not tomorrow, I'm free Thursday night also. I'm even up for
casting to some smallies somewhere nearby, since it seems to get dark
here around 10PM...

You can send me an email, or post here. :-)

Beer and Burger should be doable if you're not on a schedule on Tuesday. By
NW side of town, I assume somewhere around 74th or 86th street? I live on
the southeast side of town. If you're intrested in that stuff there's a
couple of fly shops and an Orvis store on the north side plus a decent
little canoe/outdoor store in the Broad Ripple area.

We can chase smallies or we can chase trout in Indiana's only season long
trout stream. Depends if you want to go an hour and a half west or an hour
and a half east.

I assume you still have my phone numbers?

Old July 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 7, 10:04*pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On Jul 6, 11:19*pm, riverman wrote:

Imagine that you were in Indianapolis, had a rental car with unlimited
mileage, and had a general plan to drive from Indy, to DC, then up to
Maine. Also imagine that you had tent, sleeping bag, and about 6 days
to make this trek.

You contact the guy from ROFF who actually lives in Indianapolis and
who just did that.

(This is a repost; dunno why this didn't get through before)

Speaking of which, wayne, want to get together for a beer and a
burger? I'm free tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday. I'm in the NW part
of town, but I have a rental car and a GPS and can get to you, or to
some intermediate location. Since it seems to stay light until pretty
late here, I'm even up for casting to some smallies some night this
week.

--riverman

Old July 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Myron, need to know if you are still on for the Rapid. I just got in
from a couple of days on the river, and it was the best dry fly
fishing I have had in a couple of years. Big brookies and landlocks,
ALL on Harry Mason's Killer Caddis. The water is starting to heat up
- it was 65 degrees at Pond in the River two days ago.

Let me know what are the best dates for you.

Dave
(Plan on wading wet!)

Old July 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jul 10, 4:34*am, Dave LaCourse wrote:
Myron, need to know if you are still on for the Rapid. *I just got in
from a couple of days on the river, and it was the best dry fly
fishing I have had in a couple of years. *Big brookies and landlocks,
ALL on Harry Mason's Killer Caddis. *The water is starting to heat up
- it was 65 degrees at Pond in the River two days ago.

Let me know what are the best dates for you.

Dave
(Plan on wading wet!)

Since you put it that way....HELL yeah! :-)

(Actually, even if the fishing was poor, I'd be up for it.)
I get back to Maine midweek next week...any time after that is fine
for me. Wanna look at Friday/Saturday?

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:16:49 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

Wanna look at Friday/Saturday?

Do you know the road to the gate from Rt16?

If not, I will get directions for you from the folks at Lakewood.

You drive in to the gate, and I'll pick you up Friday morning. You
can have lunch and dinner at Lakewood. Sound like a plan?

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:
Wanna look at Friday/Saturday?

Do you know the road to the gate from Rt16?

If not, I will get directions for you from the folks at Lakewood.

You drive in to the gate, and I'll pick you up Friday morning. *You
can have lunch and dinner at Lakewood. *Sound like a plan?

Dave

Absolutely. Give me explicit directions, and a time to be there. At
worst, I'll be driving up from Portland in the wee hours, but more
likely I'll come up the night before and camp somewhere. Just to be
sure, we're talking Friday morning, July 18, right?

I'm really looking forward to this. :-)

--riverman