Muskie Fly

Old January 17th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan

Default Muskie Fly

I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly

Stan wrote:
I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan

I saw the show. Sorry, but I think I missed part of the show too....4
year olds can do that to fishing show. ;-) Anyway, as best I can tell,
the tail was extra long bucktail. Not sure of the colors, but purple,
and or red seem to be right. The body was a very bushy chenille like
Estaz. Color seemed gold or olive? The head/collar I don't
remember......................Just dawned on me. One of the guys was the
local fly shop owner/guide, and he tied the flies. DOH!

http://www.wetieit.com/

Hope this helps

brians

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan

Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens.

Speaking of the show, I have never fished for Muskies, let alone on a
fly rod. After watching the show, my sporting blood was flowing!

Stan

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry

Stan wrote:
Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens. ...

Either that or take his Muskie Fly Fishing Clinic, with optional
tying session, at the end of May.

http://www.wetieit.com/blog/index.php?category=5

See you there.

And yes indeed, thanks Brian !!

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly

Stan wrote:

Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens.

Speaking of the show, I have never fished for Muskies, let alone on a
fly rod. After watching the show, my sporting blood was flowing!

Stan

Stan,

That's was great customer service, eh. :-( The sparkle part is not a big
deal. They showed him doing it on the show. Just buy some glitter at a
crafts store, and mix it in the epoxy. Colors range from plain
metallics, to rainbow colors. I also think you can buy different flakes,
from fine, to coarse. Do some trial mixtures. It doesn't take much
glitter to get a sparkle effect. As for the fly itself, I wish I could
remember what the collar and head looked like.

brians

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry

briansfly wrote:
Stan wrote:
I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video." ...

That's was great customer service, eh. :-( ...

That's somewhat of a harsh assessment I think. I talked to Bill
for a good half hour, forty-five minutes on the phone and he was
quite helpful. He's in Florida right now guiding for red fish so
perhaps he's too busy to spend a lot of time on email with
non-customers. I didn't ask about the fly in the show you guys
watched, I either don't get that channel or don't pay for it on
my cable so I don't know what you're talking about. I did ask if
there were any commercial ties that he liked for Muskie and after
the obligatory, "Of course not", he mentioned Bunny flies and
Deceivers.

He gave me a ton of other helpful info about Muskie fishing with
a fly rod too but that's not really appropriate here in the tying
group. Start a Muskie thread on roff and I'll post it there.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stan

Ken,

You're right, it may have been a harsh assesment on my part. I guess
I was a little too harsh in how I related this.

Bill did mention that he was in Florida, and the guy did take the time
to write me a detailed reply. Hey, the man is in business, so what can
I say.

I will follow your advice and post on ROFF.

And Brian...thanks again!

Stan

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:33:31 GMT, Ken Fortenberry

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
briansfly wrote:

Stan wrote:

[...]

Ok, I take back the customer service comment. :-) FWIW, Bill came off
really well on the show. Seems like a good guy, doing what he loves.

brians

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
rogermackk rogermackk is offline
Junior Member

Tie flies is a good epoxy job, but I am confused what / how he mixed in access to spark. I think, as a last resort, a person can do only one flash head fur glue pen.
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
craiggwillson craiggwillson is offline
Junior Member

Tying adhesive arch flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to what/how he alloyed in to get the sparkle. I assumption as a endure resort, a person could just covering the accomplished arch with one of those glitter glue pens.