OT NDC Molly Ivins

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Wolfgang

Default OT NDC Molly Ivins

"riverman" wrote in message

....No, I don't have kids......

Hm.......

O.K., presumably you at least KNOW somebody who has children......say
a six year old.....male or female, your choice. Is he or she
inherently evil?

Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

No.

Wolfgang

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Tim J.

"riverman" wrote...

Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

1) Wal-Mart (we gots Super Wal-Marts now!)
2) People recovering from illness
ObROFF:
3) my backcast
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Wolfgang

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
m...

War and killing started with Christianity? You get lots of points
on that one for originality, but historians would probably disagree

:-)
IMO Dave's Cain and Abel comment is closer to the truth...

WHAT?!! SOMEBODY KILLED A FISH?!

Wolfgang
to whom it occurs that basic literacy might be a starting point.

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:01 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message

....No, I don't have kids......

Hm.......

O.K., presumably you at least KNOW somebody who has children......say
a six year old.....male or female, your choice. Is he or she
inherently evil?

Well, they sure were at two!

But of course children have barely come into consciousness and don't have
much capacity to influence the world or the people around them. However,
within their limited ability, I'd say the average six year old is relatively
selfish, demanding, self-centered and has little concern for the welfare of
the world around them. I'd also say that its at this age that they learn
that they are sheltered by their ignorance, and this becomes an overused
lifelong trait. Trying to teach them to be generous, giving, forgiving and
world-wise is a noble effort, but it just doensn't seem to happen as much as
it ought to. We teach them to go out and get what they want. Why do we
always refer to the 'angelic innocence of youth'? Because it goes away,
that's why!

But that's not what I am talking about. There are plenty of individual
people around who are not evil. Mother Theresas, good Samartians (btw, its
worth researching the reputation of the Samaritans..) etc. I'm talking about
humanity as a whole.

Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

No.

?
Ok, then just think about it.

--riverman
(Arrrrr)

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:08 PM
riverman

"Tim J." wrote in message

"riverman" wrote...

Name three things in the world that are getting better, globally.

1) Wal-Mart (we gots Super Wal-Marts now!)

I'll leave that one alone.

2) People recovering from illness

Globally??? You called your insurance agent lately to see what coverage you
have? Why are medical cost soaring? Why do millions of people in Congo, etc,
die yearly from easily preventable diseases? How many altruistic medical
organizations do YOU know of? People recovering from illness is a
side-effect of a huge medical machinery that is not driven by curing people:
its driven by the profit motive. Otherwise, medicine would be a whole lot
cheaper, and a lot more people worldwide would be recovering from illness.
You might as well say military machinery is getting better.

ObROFF:
3) my backcast

OK, I'll grant you that. People are inherently neither good nor evil because
your backcast is improving.
:-/

--riverman

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM
slenon

Rather than causing it, IMO Christianity _explains_ it... quite well,
too...

And does more than its share in contributing to it, while blaming everyone

else FOR it!
--riverman

It gets one of my votes. But the economic components of all wars should not
be ignored. Even the Islamic fundamentalists want their piece of the money
pie to be increased.

And if you doubt the inherent evil of mankind, just think back to high
school.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Wolfgang

"riverman" wrote in message

....But that's not what I am talking about.....

Well, maybe some day we can both talk about the same thing.

Wolfgang

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message

....But that's not what I am talking about.....

Well, maybe some day we can both talk about the same thing.

Yeah, maybe someday....someday......

Hey, we're doing it NOW!

--riverman
(I like a happy ending)

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Joe

In rec.music.gdead volkfolk wrote:

At the risk of starting a cross-newsgroup flame fest, how does an rmgd
Dead Head join the "Ken Fortenberry Fan Club"?

Maybe you guys can go steady?

Ding, ding, ding! And, you wonder why you are the object of my derision
and ridicule?

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Tim J.

"riverman" wrote...

"Tim J." wrote...

snipped the serious stuff from the World's Longest Lasting Thread (thanks,
Forty)
ObROFF:
3) my backcast

OK, I'll grant you that. People are inherently neither good nor evil because
your backcast is improving.

Today's lesson on good and evil is:

Evil: They are evil if they watch and can therefore disprove my statement.
Good: My backcast is good only when nobody's watching.
--
HTH,
Tim