Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Herman Nijland

Default Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

Osmo Jauhiainen wrote:

"riverman" wrote in message

Life in Congo-Part 5: What a long, strange trip.

Myron,

This is part V but the first part I've seen! Somehow I have missed the
other parts!

OsmoJ

They were posted quite some time ago. This should give you a good start:
http://tinyurl.com/o80i

--
Herman, just a statisfied customer :-)

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Herman Nijland

BJ Conner wrote:

"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

snip
It's sold as freedom oil now.

--
Herman

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:39 PM
Tim J.

"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
"BJ Conner" wrote...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

lmao. i knew i could count on you, bj, to brighten this dreary monday
morning.

No ****. I think palm oil was about the least of riverman's worries, wot?
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
slenon

Way cool. Whenever I pinch the heads off big squirmy bugs and squeeze
their guts into my mouth, I'll be thinking of you. ;-)
Ken Fortenberry

Please make sure that you photograph such events.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:20 PM
riverman

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
om...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite tasty.

"riverman" wrote in message

Life in Congo-Part 5: What a long, strange trip.

Cliped another excellant story by a brave man. There's another string
somewhere here about honor and commitment. Some talk - some do. I
stand in awe of your commitment to making the world a better place.

Nah, its not like it seems. There are a lot of people around here who are
actually pretty altruistic. I'm just an escapist trying to avoid the
shackles of life in the US while I try to get some interesting experiences
out of this life. :-)

--riverman

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:27 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
"BJ Conner" wrote...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys now,
Australian for one.

lmao. i knew i could count on you, bj, to brighten this dreary

monday
morning.

No ****. I think palm oil was about the least of riverman's worries, wot?
--
TL,
Tim

yeah, well, scoff if you will, but just the other morning, on the way to
work, i saw a 9 year old kid carelessly stick a curious toe into a *small*
puddle of palm oil. i was unable to prevent the tragedy. within four
seconds of contact, the evil substance had literally melted the flesh from
her bones. oh, god, will i ever forget the stunning, pure ...whiteness...of
her lower leg bone.

thank god the aussies have moved quickly to spare *their* children, and
senior citizens! when will we, arrogant, slothful *******s that we are, act
to prohibit the importation of this hellish liquid?

contact "p.a.p.o", in care of bj conner's email addy, for details of how
to help--won't you help? now, before it's too late...

yfitons
wayno

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
Tim J.

"Wayne Harrison" wrote...

contact "p.a.p.o", in care of bj conner's email addy, for details of how
to help--won't you help? now, before it's too late...

SPAMMER! (I detect a tee-shirt scheme emerging.)
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Stan Gula

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got up to
75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are produced
in areas where the orangutan still lives (because people are clearing
forests to plant oil palms), a few articles on import bans (to shore up
local production), some articles on developing plantations (in Australia),
and a reclassification of 'raw palm oil' in India due to an import tax
loophole. Nothing about dangers in consumption but a lot of signs of a huge
industry (who knew!).

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
riverman

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite

tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got up to
75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are produced
in areas where the orangutan still lives (because people are clearing
forests to plant oil palms), a few articles on import bans (to shore up
local production), some articles on developing plantations (in Australia),
and a reclassification of 'raw palm oil' in India due to an import tax
loophole. Nothing about dangers in consumption but a lot of signs of a

huge
industry (who knew!).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the bull**** meter is pegged on this. Palm oil
manufacturing is what has traditionally kept the majority of western Congo
alive through the past 20 years. The Peace Corp is actively working to
replant overmature oil palms (they have a productive lifespan of about 10-15
years before they are too tall to climb) and its a major staple for about
800 million africans. If anything, there might be some first world Food and
Drug conflicts with the sanitation or quality of the product, since it IS
being produced in the heart of the jungle, and transported in all sorts of
marginally sterile containers (lets not even go there). But as for its
inherent danger...not a chance.

--riverman

--riverman

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:00 PM
Scott Seidman

"Stan Gula" wrote in
:

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite
tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got
up to 75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one
environmental action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products
that are produced in areas where the orangutan still lives (because
people are clearing forests to plant oil palms), a few articles on
import bans (to shore up local production), some articles on
developing plantations (in Australia), and a reclassification of 'raw
palm oil' in India due to an import tax loophole. Nothing about
dangers in consumption but a lot of signs of a huge industry (who
knew!).

I've always heard that oiling up your palm can lead to blindness

Scott