Bobbin hanger alternative

Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Bobbin hanger alternative

I've been looking to get one of those bobbin hangers for my vice. Being
that my vice is one of the bottom of the line, el cheap-o ones from Bass
Pro Shops. I decided to figure out an alternative to use till I can get
the funds for a respectable one that would be included with the vice...

here goes!

I found that a wire-style clothes hanger cut to proper length (12-14"),
making the necessary bends to be able to hold the bobbin out of the way and
the other end wrapped 3-4 times around the shaft of the vice works great
and at almost no cost (cost of the hanger)... It takes a little effort to
get the right size of the coils. Wrapped a little smaller than the shaft
diameter is ideal (this is the most difficult part). After getting the
coils slid onto the vice shaft and into place, it stays put and doesn't
slide down at all. I'll post a picture on A.B.F.P, sorry for the low-res
pic.

It's not as pretty and clean as a commercial made one but it works for what I
need it to do...

Anthony

Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

A Comulada wrote in
news
It's not as pretty and clean as a commercial made one but it works for
what I need it to do...

What do you need it to do?? I really don't see much use for a bobbin
hanger unless you're using a rotary vice.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
A Comulada wrote in
news
It's not as pretty and clean as a commercial made one but it works for
what I need it to do...

What do you need it to do?? I really don't see much use for a bobbin
hanger unless you're using a rotary vice.

Just to keep the thread out of my way and keeps it tight...kind of like a
third hand which sometimes is nice to have since my hands shake a little and
I can get the right finger and hand positionig to manipulate the
materials...I'm sure that will get easier with practice though. I wasn't
aware that they were exclusively for rotary vices. Guess it won't be much of
a learning curve when I actually get a good vice?

Thanks

Anthony

Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Wayne P" wrote in message
i use on and dont have a rotary vise. I use it to get the thread out of the
way so I can wrap material by hand etc. It's like a 3rd hand at times.

wayne

Same here.

Op

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

try this Anthony,
Go out and buy yourself one of those great big spikes that you see at home
depo. Cut both ends off.with a hack saw.. Polish the shaft with a buffer
wheel tap a small screw hole in one end. thread the screw through 2
inverted faucet washers and into the shaft. slide the shaft into an old vice
c-clamp and presto! mount it 12-18" away from your vise and you're in!
news

Old January 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

My Dad made one for me decades ago before the wire ones came out. I had an
old table clamp that held a 3/8" rod with another clamp. Dad cut a piece of
3/8" reinforcing rod about 12" high and welded a two inch piece of welding
rod about two inches out from the side of the rod. My black plastic
Herter's bobbins hung nicely over the loop.

It worked as well as the wire hanger I use today except I can move the wire
one 45 degrees from my vise which gives a little more arm room to the right
while tying.

Good luck!
\John

news