mirrorlure hook replacement

Old October 19th, 2003, 11:40 AM
John Benson

Default mirrorlure hook replacement

I have several mirrorlures that need new hooks. Any suggestions on a
particular hook and size that I should use? I'm thinking of #4 Owner ST 41.

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Rodney

John Benson wrote:

I have several mirrorlures that need new hooks. Any suggestions on a
particular hook and size that I should use? I'm thinking of #4 Owner ST 41.

Just take one of them and replace it with a Daiichi Bleeding hook

Now you will see it catch twice as many fish as the other ones with
other hooks,, they think they know why this works, but they really are
not sure,, it was in an issue of Bassmaster's this last summer.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

Old October 19th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Spyda Man

Depends on the size of the lure, but on almost all my larger sized plugs
I have replaced the trebles with stainless steel Mustad double hooks.
Double hooks are stronger than trebles for their relative size, and you
eliminate the split-ring which is always the weakest link. These double
hooks come in a variety of sizes, and they just slip right onto the lure
eye.

Spy in Hawaii

Old October 20th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Sphynx

Spyda Man wrote:
Depends on the size of the lure, but on almost all my larger sized plugs
I have replaced the trebles with stainless steel Mustad double hooks.
Double hooks are stronger than trebles for their relative size, and you
eliminate the split-ring which is always the weakest link. These double
hooks come in a variety of sizes, and they just slip right onto the lure
eye.

Spy in Hawaii

Thanks for that tip. Since I fish mostly with plugs I'm always having trouble with the
hooks bending out or breaking or coming off, sometimes with the split ring.
I tried those 3/0 4x trebles recently and had a 30 lb striper turn them into a weather
vane the first time I used them. I don't like using singles either.

--
Sphynx

Old October 21st, 2003, 08:49 PM
Basspro*

John, I have the same problems with my Mirrolures and Yo-zuri's.
Personally I don't think the Owner hook can be beat.