GFS2007 - The Official Announcement

Old December 31st, 2006, 05:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Default GFS2007 - The Official Announcement

Happy New Year wishes to one and all from the GFS2007 Swapmeister; and
herewith, the Official Announcement for the 2007 edition of the annual ROFF
Great Fly Swap. If you have no idea what this is about or how it works,
first check Stan Gula's page at http://gula.org/roffswaps/faq.html. On with
the details:

Sign up period: 12:00:01 a.m. January 1, 2007 through 11:59:59 p.m. January
14, 2007. Two weeks ought to be enough time for you to make up your mind.

Completion and submission date: February 20, 2007. All flies should be in
my hands by that date. That gives you 4 weeks to tie and another week or so
for shipping. Piece o' cake.

Number of Participants: While many swappers think nothing of tying scores of
flies, it does tend to become a bit tedious after the first couple dozen.
OTOH, I've found the swaps to be a great forced learning tool, and after a
couple dozen, mine start to look a lot better. So unless things really get
out of hand (arbitrarily, let's say 50 or more), there will be no limit on
the number of participants. If you sign up, be prepared to tie several
dozen if it goes that far.

Tags: Please securely attach a tag to each fly indicating your name and the
name of the fly. More than that is not necessary. Too large a tag can make
packaging and sorting somewhat of a problem in some instances (see the
Return Packaging comments below.) I'd also recommend avoiding tied-on tags
that can tangle together in transit. A simple piece of stiff paper is
usually sufficient; but be certain it's substantial enough to withstand the
trip both ways.

Return packaging: All fly sets submitted should include a return package
that is already addressed and containing the correct postage. Second to
sorting flies, addressing and affixing postage to packages is the most
time-consuming task for the swapmeister, IME. NB: One thing to keep in
mind - some folks send larger flies and/or larger tags than you. If you tie
up 40 brassies and send me a film container or small fly box, that's not
going to be big enough to send back 39 other flies the size of #2/0 Clousers
with 3x5 index cards for tags. Back when VCR tapes were the media du jour,
those boxes were just about the perfect size.

Extra flies and extra postage: Please don't. It's a fine gesture and one
that has been appreciated in the past, but it isn't necessary. If you wish
to include and designate and extra fly or two for a good cause, that's fine;
but please, nothing extra for the swapmeister.

That's about it for now. I'll probably get around to posting all of this on
a temporary website http://mysite.verizon.net/gfs2007/; and I heartily
recommend a visit to Stan Gula's page for the FAQs
(http://gula.org/roffswaps/faq.html), especially regarding tags & packaging.

Swapmeister's address:

Joe Fleischman

P.O. Box 171

Bel Air, MD 21014

I recommend the USPS, but if you are from outside the USA and plan to use a
courrier service (e.g. DHL) that will not deliver to a PO box, let me know.

Swapmeister's email:

There's no prize for the first to sign up after midnight; and I probably won't
check until after a Bloody Mary & two Advil tomorrow, but at 12:00:01 a.m.
the fun begins. Gentlemen/women, man your vises.

Have fun,

Joe Fleischman

GFS2007 Swapmeister

Old December 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"rb608" wrote in message

Happy New Year wishes to one and all from the GFS2007 Swapmeister; and
herewith, the Official Announcement for the 2007 edition of the annual
ROFF Great Fly Swap. If you have no idea what this is about or how it
works, first check Stan Gula's page at http://gula.org/roffswaps/faq.html.
On with the details:

I'm in, if their are no objections.

Op

Old December 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

rb608 wrote:
Happy New Year wishes to one and all from the GFS2007 Swapmeister; and
herewith, the Official Announcement for the 2007 edition of the annual ROFF
Great Fly Swap.

i'm in. and, as usual, i can assure you that my offerings will be
the equal of the most popular american commercial patterns.

i'm leaning towards the tennessee wulff, of some other pattern
heavily favored by my homeboys.

yfitons
wayno

Old December 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"rb608" wrote ...

GFS2007 Swapmeister

I'm in as well. Probably a para-Adams.

Dan

Old December 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

rb608 wrote:
Happy New Year wishes to one and all from the GFS2007 Swapmeister; and
herewith, the Official Announcement for the 2007 edition of the annual ROFF
Great Fly Swap.

And a joyous new year (and many more to come) to you and yours.

Well, it's been a couple of years, and what with rediscovering the joy
of tying in preparation for last September's UPYERS, I'm in.

What to tie.......?

Depends.

If the bulk of the participants are folks I've already burdened with my
produce at one time or another, something new would be required.
Otherwise, would a repeat of a past perfomance be permissible? If the
latter, I've got a couple of well tested and proved (and not just by
me) patterns that might be of interest. Besides, I've already got
about three dozen of one of them done.

Anyway, none of my business how anyone chooses to run a fly swap, but
it occurs to me (once again) that requiring each tier to make one for
EVERY participant makes eminent good sense. In other words, if there
are, say, 40 tiers, everybody should tie 40 flies......not just the 39
that would make one for each of the others. If each person ties 40, he
or she gets one of his or her own back. Duh!......why? Because if
each participant ties 40, the swapmeister gets to make up 40 identical
packages to send back. Otherwise, he (no she in this instance) has to
make up 40 uniquely different packages. The odds of getting one of
those wrong in the sorting process are higher than one might think.
Then, exactly the right assortment has to be sent to each individual.
By this time, the probability of a ****up of some sort gets pretty high
(the voice of experience......no aspersions cast in the direction of
the current swapmeister).

Wolfgang
who would, personally, also ask that everybody make a couple/three
extras.......some people don't count to 40 real good. any excess could
be donated to the worthy charity (say, somewhere on the northwest side
of milwaukee, for instance) of choice.

Old December 31st, 2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
oups.com...

And a joyous new year (and many more to come) to you and yours.

Well, it's been a couple of years, and what with rediscovering the joy
of tying in preparation for last September's UPYERS, I'm in.

What to tie.......?

I plan to use one of Harry's tutorial flyz,
http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/poopah/index.shtml

I have tied several so far, and will attempt to improve over time or
repetition? I'm not one for fishing nymph, generally, but this one caught
my eye. Once removed, from such close view, I saw it appeared to be not so
difficult a tie.

Anyway, I'm good to go for anything fishy.

Op

Old December 31st, 2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Wolfgang" wrote ...

What to tie.......?

While I'm no master at the Pass Lake (or much else frankly,) I've gotten
pretty good at tying it...howzabout another Kurdistani special? Something to
toss around on the Black Earth?

Dan

Old January 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bugcaster

rb608 wrote:
[...]

I'm in. Wilted Spinach.

bugcaster
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Hans van der Stroom

If there are no objections: I'm in and will come up with the pattern later!

Hans van der Stroom

"rb608" schreef in bericht

Old January 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave Martel

OK.....I'm in.

Probably a Zebra Caddis (#14)

Dave M