Soft Hackle Flies

Old October 21st, 2004, 09:23 PM
Stuart DeWolfe

Default Soft Hackle Flies

I am looking for a good Pattern book for Soft-Hackled Flies. I already have
the book Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies by Sylvester Nemes but would
like yet another. If you know of any better I would appreciate your
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

--
Tight Lines & Great Memories
Stuart DeWolfe

Old October 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
Mike Connor

"Stuart DeWolfe" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking for a good Pattern book for Soft-Hackled Flies. I already

have
the book Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies by Sylvester Nemes but would
like yet another. If you know of any better I would appreciate your
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

--
Tight Lines & Great Memories
Stuart DeWolfe

Leslie Magee "Fly Fishing - The North Country Tradition" and Roger Fogg "The
Handbook of North Country Flies". ...

TL
MC

Old October 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM
Willi & Sue

Stuart DeWolfe wrote:

I am looking for a good Pattern book for Soft-Hackled Flies. I already have
the book Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies by Sylvester Nemes but would
like yet another. If you know of any better I would appreciate your
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Although soft hackles are great (and fun to fish) searching patterns, I
find myself using soft hackles more and more often on surface feeding
fish when I can't get them to take a dry or feel they are feeding on
emergers. For these match the hatch type soft hackles, I usually modify
a nymph pattern that is usually good for the given hatch.

I think there's lot of room for experimentation with soft hackles. Many of
the established patterns are old and were developed in England for the
hatches there. Not that that's bad, it's just that there aren't many
patterns
around developed to imitate American hatches.

Willi

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Big Dale

Stuart wrote:snipI am looking for a good Pattern book for Soft-Hackled Flies.
I already have
the book Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies by Sylvester Nemes but would
like yet another

This is not a pattern book, But Dave Hughes wrote a book called Wet Flies that
was copyrighted back in 1995. It was responsible for my addiction to tying and
fishing soft hackle flies. Don't forget to tie a few of the pattern called the
red ass. There is something about the combination of peacock and partridge with
a little of the color red thrown in that a lot of fish seem to find attractive.
Even with the old style of soft hackle flies I sometimes have about three
fibers of z-lon as a mini trailing shuck. I have conned myself into thinking
that this sometimes makes a difference.

Big Dale

Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Dustin Rocksvold

Big Dale,

If I recall correctly, you are from California correct?

Dustin