Cell phone in Cabo San Lucas?

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
R.D.

Default Cell phone in Cabo San Lucas?

Does anyone know if my Verizon cell phone will work in Cabo San Lucas? I
called Verizon and I was told to update my roaming with *228 before I go but
the guy didn't sound too reassuring. Has anyone used theirs and have first
hand experience?

I was told by verizon roaming will be .69 cents a minute.........I can live
with that if my son needs to call me..... any hidden fees or first hand
experience????

Thank you,

R.D.

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
mexflyfish

Up until 1 year ago I had Verizon however I used it maybe once in Cabo and
once in Ixtapa. Pretty $$. I now have NEXTEL and I know that will not
work in Cabo.

I checked with a provider down there (Baja Cellular) and was advised that I
could do the following which might save some money.

1) Have a 2nd phone number put in the phone. That number would be a local
Cabo number.

2) Purchase a time card, with enough minutes to last you for your stay.

I'm not sure if the cell provider in Baja are CDMA, TDMA, 800 MHZ or 1900
MHZ. Your phone must be compatible with their system to do the above.

I do not believe they rent cell phones there.

I've been going since 1998 and I've not needed a cell phone, although I live
off it here in the states. If I want to communicate/check in back home,
there are plenty of Internet cafes to send email.

I pretty much beat people over the head that I go to Cabo to get away from
the stress and headaches of home and work. My time in Cabo is not the time
to bother me with petty little issues. Not even a death in the family would
prompt me to cut short my vacation and return home.

If you must call home, you could use a phone card and landline service
available at San Francisco Coffee Shop along the marina. They also have
Internet service. Very reasonable. Zak is also a good source of
information.

Check he

http://sanfranciscocoffeecompany.com/