boat launching

Old August 12th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Paul Wilson

Default boat launching

We are shortly buying a 16ft fishing boat for sea fishing.We used to go out
on someone elses down in South Wales.

But since we now live near to North Wales obviously this is where we will
fish from mainly.My question is,if anyone has any advice,is this;Is there
anywhere around North Wales where we can launch easily?If so,will we be
charged and how much?

Thanks guys

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Luis Troyano

Hi
just visit

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

all the info you will need is there.
I personally launch from New Brighton at the tip of the wirral.
This is run by Safe Water Training School next to the slip.
You will find though that a lot of slips now require insurance and Power
Boat Lvl 2 certificate.
Hope that helps.

Luis

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Paul Wilson

Insurance shouldn't be a problem,but how much does it cost and how long does
it take to get a Power Boat L2 cert?

In the meantime,is there anywhere we can launch easily?

Old August 17th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Luis Troyano

Hi Paul
a power boat level 2 course is for 2 days (residential) and costs approx
£200.
I did mine at Plas Menai on the straights near Carnarvon.
IMO it is worth every penny and I would not advise anyone going out
on a small power boat without it.
Insurance can cost anything from £150 per year upwards.
The problem you will face is that many of the best slips insist on having
both nowadays.
You wouldn't take a car on the road without a licence and insurance would
you?
So why should a boat be any different?
The sea can be a very dangerous place and going out with someone else is
very different to owning
and going out on your own boat. I would also recommend a GPS, fishing finder
(for depth readings)
and VHF Radio (again a course is required for that) if you are thinking of
doing any kind of distance.
Also bear in mind some of the best fishing spots are upwards of 15 miles
from shore.
Im not trying to put you off, just sharing some of the experience I have had
owning my own boat.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else.

Old August 18th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Martin H

Hi everyone,
I did my rya level 2 at Plas Menai and it was worthwhile as well as very
enjoyable. I stopped overnight, I think it came to about £190 including
breakfasts, an evening meal and packed lunches. I am in my 1st year of
dinghy boat fishing. Up to now I have launch in Pwehelli harbour you could
try this number 01758613519 and ask for Steve. They do a launch and recovery
service for about tenner. The best bit is you have to sail the boat onto the
trailer, wow it is difficult. You need to know where reverse is! Cilan head
is great for the Huss.

I have also launched from Aberdovey harbour. You need a copy of your
insurance certificate. It again costs a tenner but you have use your own
car. They do a season pass for £90. The beach is firm at the top. I only
have a front wheel drive car therefore I have to be very careful although a
few others with 4 wheel drive were willing to help. The good thing about
Aberdovey is you are quickly onto the reef just north of Towyn, I think its
the one featured in the Sea Angler article this month. We fished for
mackeral, black bream and the usual dogfish. The black bream are great fun
on light tackle with a small piece of squid for bait. If the weather is OK
this weekend we will have a go for the Tope.

I have got a copy of "Where to launch around the coast" It has phone numbers
and many other details.It is piublished by OPUS. The phone number on the
book is 01892 785953. Book number ISBN 1-898574-05-7. A useful book if you
want to trailer your boat around the country.

tight lines everyone and good safe fishing.

cheers
Martin