Shimano Calcutta computerized

Old February 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Netguider

Default Shimano Calcutta computerized

Hi all,

I was in Nashville, TN yesterday at the Bass Pro Shop and I happened to
notice one of the new Shimano Calcutta computer controlled reels. I was
actually looking to buy a Shimano Calais, but I thought I'd hold off and see
if anyone has used this new casting reel and what they think of it.

I've been on Google and found several reviews. They were all VERY positive,
but it's hard to know how much these reviewers are influenced by Shimano?

Of course, then I'd have to have a new Loomis rod to go with it :-)
Sometimes, being single does have its advantages!

Thanks,

Randy

Old February 13th, 2004, 05:06 AM
go-bassn

....single & rich that is.

Warren ;-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old February 13th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Netguider

I'll have to admit, $500 is a lot to pay for a reel. When I was younger,
(I'm 57 now) I used to buy a new mid-priced rod and reel just about every
year. Like many other fisherman, I had a closet full of them. One day, I
added up all the money I'd spent and decided I could have bought one really
nice outfit, and been better off in the long run.

So last year, I bought a Shimano Stella and a G Loomis 7' spinning rod. Best
thing I ever did. I still have a few of the other combo's. But I hardly ever
use them anymore. I figured that this year, I'd buy the Calais and another
Loomis rod and be done with it. (Though I'm leaning towards the computerized
Calcutta reel now.)

I know, different situations demand different rods, reels, and lines....but
that said, and since I'm mostly out just to enjoy the sport anyway, I think
I can get by just fine with the one spinning and one casting outfit.

As with any good rod and reel, if you take care of them, they'll last a long
long time. The Stella and Loomis combo was an expensive purchase, (lessened
somewhat by getting them on eBay) but one that should last for many years to
come. Averaged over six or seven years, it's not all that expensive. And
believe me, I don't plan on buying any more rods and reels after this
purchase for a very long time!

I guess I am a stickler about good equipment though. I tend to get the best
that I can afford when it's something I plan on using a lot. Or if it makes
my living. Of course, there are people in this news group that can catch
more fish on an old cane-pole than I could even think about catching- no
matter what I was using. It really is technique and know-how that counts.
But it sure nice to have the best of something now and then.

I'll probably end up with the computerized version of the Calcutta. It's
still cold here in Indiana so I'm not in any big hurry. But our first club
tournament comes up March 14th, and then another on the 20th. The new
seasons not all that far away.

If anyone is using this reel, I'd like to hear of your experience with it.
The magazine reviews are extremely positive, but magazines tend to talk
things up, just to keep the advertising money coming in. It's their job to
sell that new equipment....I'd rather hear from some of you in the group.

Netguider

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

I took some casts with one at ICAST last summer. I was amazed at how far I
threw a lightweight practice plug. But the computer system isn't
fool-proof. A guy from South Africa threw a monster backlash! Is it worth
$500? Only you can be the judge of that.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:38 PM
mhood

I was a little put off by the "limited" warranty... you'd think a $500 dollar
reel would come with a lifetime warranty and a protective sack lined with wombat
fur ;-)

mhood

Old February 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM
go-bassn

I hear ya Net guider. And I understand your POV. Years ago Daiwa came out
with a baitcasting reel that had a built-in computer, albeit different than
the current Shimano. My stance was that while it looked "neat", how long
could a computer of any type last bouncing on my casting deck in 3 footers
lol. While I'd love to check out the new Shimano, I can't justify getting
one for thesame money I could spend on 2 1/2 of my beloved Daiwa TD-X's. If
you do take the plunge, please let us know how it goes, and good luck.

Warren
-
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Charles B. Summers

Warren... when we get to Florida, I'm going to have to try one of your
Diawa's. You MUST have a different one than the ones I've tried in the past.

What model numbers are you using?

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
go-bassn

With your casting skills...probably not.

Warren ;-)

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast) wrote in
message ...