Newbie rod question for NJ fly fishing

Old August 12th, 2004, 04:44 AM
mdh

Default Newbie rod question for NJ fly fishing

Mark,

thanks for the tips.

i will be fishing in the small trout streams in NJ. and fishing for trout.
most of the streams are in pretty dense vegatation, so i thought that a
shorter rod would be better. but i am just starting out, so maybe a longer
would be better to learn on. what do you suggest in rod length?

as far as weight, i am guessing that the 4 would be good enough.

cheers,
mark

Mark W. Oots wrote in message
.com...
My first question would be this...What do you plan to fish for? The
second...Where do you plan to fish?

Line weight and the rod weight, as a result, is the factor to consider

based
on the size of the flies you paln to throw. Thus, a really big bass bug
requires a heavier line than a tiny dry fly. If you plan to fish with

giant
flies, a 7 or eight wt would be needed. If, on the other hand, you are

going
trout fishing, a 4 or 5 wt would be better.

My suggestion is to find a fly shop or some tackle shop with a decent
selection of fly rods, and try a few. A word of warning, don't walk in and
tell the guy you have a grand to spend, he'll take it all easily. Tell him
you're just getting started and ask for his help. You can get a combo that
you can sort of fish with for a hundred bucks, though I don't suggest it.
You can also spend 600 plus on just a rod. Remember, you also need a line,
leaders, some tippet material, a box or 2 and a vest or pack to carry

stuff.
A leader straightener is handy, as are hemostats and nippers. I also have

couple knot tying aids that help, especially now that my eyes need

bifocals.
Get what you can afford and still have enough to go fishing when you're
done.

Also look for a couple books about fly casting or see if your local shop

or
club has casting lessons. It can make a big dent in the learning curve.

I'll
also add, nothing beats fishing with someone who has been fly fishing for

while.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mark