OT Lies, liars and SF-180

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Default OT Lies, liars and SF-180

Dave LaCourse wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:12:34 -0700 (PDT), Wayne Knight
wrote:

Didn't Cheney get a few deferments too?

Clinton didn't get a deferment. He got a draft notice. Twice! And
he dodged it with the help of political friends.

Cheney had a college deferment, just like some fellow roffians who had
the same deferments and complain because Cheney didn't serve.

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
*/
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:

drivel excuses about President Cheney's lack'a money
where his mouth is

Just thought I'd mention, Dave. You've called me a coward
a dozen times over, and said I "ran" because I didn't serve
during the idiot's redneck Vietnam debacle. Actually I showed
up for my draft physical. Told the truth and got a deferment that never
got changed. I got lucky that way. Lot's of guys made up stories, went
to Canada, pretended to be something they weren't. I didn't do
any of that.

It was a fun day. I got on the bus in Trenton New Jersey early.
By the time we got to Newark New Jersey there was a full-blown
riot going on. The cops had streets cordoned off. A building
was on fire and there were fire trucks everywhere. Angry long-hairs
were yelling at what they called the pigs. When I got off the bus
someone handed me a bunch of anti-war literatu "it's your
constitutional right to have this information.....etc" Sirens
were blaring everywhere. It was so loud you couldn't tell what the
deal was.

Two steps later I went through a door and white-helmeted military
police snatched the papers from our hands. We sat down and filled
out papers. "Are you a homosexual" the form asked. I checked no.
Two long-haired guys stood up, tore up their forms and smashed their
chairs on the floor. Military police came in and wacked them unconscious
with night sticks. Drug them out the door by their long hair.

Can't remember when I found out my deferment status. Was it that day?
Or later. That was a long time ago. I didn't complain a bit.

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jun 27, 10:23*am, Dave LaCourse wrote:

Clinton didn't get a deferment. *He got a draft notice. *Twice! *And
he dodged it with the help of political friends.

That Clinton used political connections to avoid being drafted is
beyond dispute. I don't believe under the rules at the time he was
ever actually obligated to report, including once where he would have
been obligated but the notice was sent regular mail and arrived in
England after the induction date. The notice arrived after Clinton had
started a semester at Oxford. I also seem to remember something about
being denied entry into the reserves for the air force and navy due
to hearing and vision issues anyway. Who's to say he would have passed
a physical?

Personally, I fail to see how that is any different than anyone else
who got deferments, including Cheney, or those who requests natrional
guard transfers to another state and let their flight status drop so
they can work on political campaigns-Bush.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Didn't Cheney get a few deferments too?

Clinton didn't get a deferment. He got a draft notice. Twice! And
he dodged it with the help of political friends.

Cheney had a college deferment, just like some fellow roffians who had
the same deferments and complain because Cheney didn't serve.

I'm curious - what does Bill Clinton's or Dick Cheney's military status
have to do with the upcoming election? And more importantly, what's to
discuss? Cheney got deferments and Clinton pulled more **** than a
feedlot tractor...

IAC, this sorta brings up a point that I find particularly amusing: when
it looked like Hillary was the shoo-in for the nomination, most
hard-core Dems (ROFFian and otherwise) were touting HER as the only
possible salvation of the US of A, with nary a mention of Obama. Now,
just a year or so later, Obama is the, er, "apparent nominee" and
Hillary is a has-been who practices the underhanded politics as
usual/politics of the past. It's now Obama who is the only possible
savior...well, with a lot of help from Billary, Gore, McAuliffe,
Screamin' Howie, and a star-studded cast of Clintonistas, Gorons, etc...

HTH,

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:06:47 -0600, salmobytes
wrote:

Just thought I'd mention, Dave. You've called me a coward
a dozen times over, and said I "ran" because I didn't serve
during the idiot's redneck Vietnam debacle. Actually I showed
up for my draft physical. Told the truth and got a deferment that never
got changed. I got lucky that way. Lot's of guys made up stories, went
to Canada, pretended to be something they weren't. I didn't do
any of that.

I apologize for calling you a coward, Sandy.
I got the feeling you were celebrating by not reporting, running, etc.
Forgive me.

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Wayne Knight wrote:
Didn't Cheney get a few deferments too?

Clinton didn't get a deferment. He got a draft notice. Twice! And
he dodged it with the help of political friends.

Cheney had a college deferment, just like some fellow roffians who had
the same deferments and complain because Cheney didn't serve.

Cheney got *4* student deferments and a fifth "hardship deferment"
when his wife was 10 weeks pregnant. Cheney's first daughter was
born 9 months and 2 days after the Selective Service lifted its
policy not to draft married men with no children. Clearly, the man
dodged the draft to the utmost. And good for him, I'd have done
the same thing and failing that I'd have opted for Canada. The
difference between me and Cheney is that I didn't turn into a
despicable, neocon hypocrite.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:

I apologize for calling you a coward, Sandy.

I apologize for insulting you so many different ways--you rotten
redneck son of a bitch. I am getting a bit tired of all this
wrangling. But it has been fun. You gotta admit.

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Wayne Knight
wrote:

[...]

Before the birthday draft numbering system came in, Clinton got a
draft notice. He contacted his draft board and received a second one.
He eventually got accepted into the Arkasas Nat'l Guard, but never
reported because he then drew a very low number in the birthday draft.
He failed to report to his agreed to Nat'l Guard post., and took a
chance that they would not call his very low number. He dodged the
draft.

Many got deferments, including friends who were married, then had
children. I know of at least two people who accepted positions away
from home to do humanitarian work (Boston City Hospital - a hell hole)
that qualified them as exempt from the draft. I have no problem with
deferments or those that got them. I do have a problem with those
with deferments that point a finger at Cheney and say *he* didn't
serve. I do have a problem with those who refuse to serve when their
country calls them. There are always honorable options.

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:13:15 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

The
difference between me and Cheney is that I didn't turn into a
despicable, neocon hypocrite.

No, you turned into a despicable, old-school pinko hypocrite.

Who loves ya, Ken?

Louie

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Wayne Knight wrote:
Didn't Cheney get a few deferments too?

Clinton didn't get a deferment. He got a draft notice. Twice! And
he dodged it with the help of political friends.

Cheney had a college deferment, just like some fellow roffians who had
the same deferments and complain because Cheney didn't serve.

Cheney got *4* student deferments and a fifth "hardship deferment"
when his wife was 10 weeks pregnant. Cheney's first daughter was
born 9 months and 2 days after the Selective Service lifted its
policy not to draft married men with no children.

Um, all else aside, are you suggesting that Cheney had enough, um,
stroke back then to get the Selective Service to time it's actions with
his wife's menstrual cycle...?

Clearly, the man
dodged the draft to the utmost. And good for him, I'd have done
the same thing and failing that I'd have opted for Canada.

BIRDS OF A FEATHER!! BIRDS OF A FEATHER!!

The
difference between me and Cheney is that I didn't turn into a
despicable, neocon hypocrite.

Fair enough...what kind of despicable hypocrite do you see yourself as
turning into...?

Help? Oh, I think not,