Work station

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Default Work station

Richard, is this the type of thing you were talking to me about
several years ago when you called?

http://fortshockley.com/052300/index1.html

Click on "work stations".

I have a friend who has the Walker's Box and it is very nice. Stores
all of his needed material/tools. Only problem - it is expensive at
$495. Seems it was designed to qualify as carry-on luggage while
traveling by air.

Dave

(PS: No, Fred. This is not OT)

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:58:59 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

Richard, is this the type of thing you were talking to me about
several years ago when you called?

http://fortshockley.com/052300/index1.html

Click on "work stations".

I have a friend who has the Walker's Box and it is very nice. Stores
all of his needed material/tools. Only problem - it is expensive at
$495. Seems it was designed to qualify as carry-on luggage while
traveling by air.

Dave

(PS: No, Fred. This is not OT)

No, it's nothing like what I envisioned, but I see nothing "wrong" with
that type of chest (other than, if it is $495, it's WAAAAAY overpriced
IMO) if that's what someone wants.

I would offer that I am personally a bit dubious of a woodworker who
claims his polyurethaned plywood is "French Polished," but hey, that's
why there's, um, chipboard and verawood...and the mention of his "dear
friend" whomever was a bit deja vu-creepy, ROFF-wise...

TC,
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Hey, didn't I win one of your tying desks about 6 years ago?
Frank Reid
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

IIRC, yes - I'll send you the first one off the production line.

Seriously, though, I thought I posted that I had let the idea die and
that the offer was based upon any actually being produced. I fooled
around with it a bit, but other things took over and frankly, I lost
interest. I've daydreamed about doing it (or similar) over the years,
but I doubt I'll have time to actually do it in the foreseeable future.

TC,
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

May have missed the post. No big deal. Just looking to outfit my
new, 600 square foot fly tying/fishing computer room. First thing I
need in there is a chair (and some carpet, paint, trim,
furniture.....).
Frank Reid
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:25:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid
wrote:

May have missed the post. No big deal. Just looking to outfit my
new, 600 square foot fly tying/fishing computer room.

Ah. My "desk" wouldn't have helped much with that - I intended a
traveling thing, about the size of a large briefcase/small suitcase. You
may have considered this, but I'd offer looking for a deal on a "solid
surface" countertop (ala Corian, etc.) might be something to consider -
it's unlikely you'll find a "blemished" one, but checking with cabinet
shops might produce a cheap used "pull" from a granite job or something.
It's probably not something to go buy new, but if you can find a deal...
It cuts with standard tools, can be butt-edge seamed invisibly (you turn
an "L" into straight-run easily), and it is durable as hell.

We found a deal at Lowe's or HD on some cabinets and a solid-surface
countertop for a garage workshop - they were "resetting" their store
display and got something like $5000 worth of straight-run lowers and
uppers for under $500, and it's surprised me how good a purchase it has
turned out to be - you can rebuild a carb on it, bleach-water sanitize
it, clean fish or process game on it, sanitize it again, and it remains
looking new.

And if you haven't already, look into laminated (ala Pergo, etc.)
flooring - easy (yep, even for you) to install and with the quality
stuff, damned near indestructible (again, yep, even for you...) and no
worries about spills, etc.

First thing I need in there is a chair (and some carpet, paint, trim,
furniture.....).

I can hardly wait to read about it...

TC,

Frank Reid

Old June 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I bought a 12' of surplus pre-cut counter top for 20 bucks
at a home depot a couple of years ago. I put two filing cabinets
under the ends and made up a support for the middle out of 2X4s.
Great computer desk. Was going to use the other end for fly tying,
but the wiff has it occupied.
Frank Reid
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Frank Reid wrote:

Actually, I bought a 12' of surplus pre-cut counter top for 20 bucks
at a home depot a couple of years ago. I put two filing cabinets
under the ends and made up a support for the middle out of 2X4s.

I do the same thing with damaged solid core doors.
Maple or birch veneer doors that normally sell for
several hundred bucks are available at my local lumber yard
for 20 bucks each, if they have a damaged corner or a scratch
on one face. They make great desks: 2x4 ribbon screwed to the
wall with plastic drawer towers at the front-edge ends.

I have a U-shaped basement area that starts off with computers
at one end, photography stuff in the middle and feathers at the other
end. Works great. The other important thing is lots of bright light.

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Actually, I bought a 12' of surplus pre-cut counter top for 20 bucks
at a home depot a couple of years ago. I put two filing cabinets
under the ends and made up a support for the middle out of 2X4s.
Great computer desk. Was going to use the other end for fly tying,
but the wiff has it occupied.

If it's solid surface material, you got a deal, and I'd suggest
reclaiming it for a fly-tying bench. If it's laminate (HPL, "Formica")
over particle board/MDF, it's not the same material. Either way, wanna
get rid of the 2x4s?

TC,
Frank Reid

Old June 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

wrote:

Actually, I bought a 12' of surplus pre-cut counter top for 20 bucks
at a home depot a couple of years ago. *I put two filing cabinets
under the ends and made up a support for the middle out of 2X4s.
Great computer desk. *Was going to use the other end for fly tying,
but the wiff has it occupied.

If it's solid surface material, you got a deal, and I'd suggest
reclaiming it for a fly-tying bench. *If it's laminate (HPL, "Formica")
over particle board/MDF, it's not the same material. *Either way, wanna
get rid of the 2x4s?

Its laminate. Works well. The 2x4 brace is stained to match the
counter top and I painted the filing cabinets too.
Frank Reid