100's of Colorado rivers could be classified "wild and scenic"

Old September 10th, 2007, 01:29 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

Default 100's of Colorado rivers could be classified "wild and scenic"

excerpted from: http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...?storyid=77024
DENVER (AP) - Hundreds of Colorado streams are being analyzed for
possible protection under the federal Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.

The reviews by the Bureau of Land Management are worrying some water
utilities and others who are seeking to develop water in many of the
same streams to meet demand from a growing population.

So far only a segment of the Poudre River north of Fort Collins is
formally protected under the act, but the Yampa, Blue, Eagle and
Colorado rivers are under review for possible protection.
[snip]

From: www.dictionary.com 0 Wild: uncultivated, uninhabited, or waste:
wild country.

Since the word "wild" connotes an absence of man the 'wildness' of
something is inversely proportional to the number of people inhabiting
it. Does a 'wild and scenic' designation mean a direction away from
habitation of these 100's of rivers? What does it mean, in practice?
The Blue, for example is pretty much 'habitated' already. A highway
runs almost its entire length in Colorado. Would we ever consider a
real wildness, ban humans from an area entirely? Do we love fish and
wild places enough or do we just play lip service to the political
gains of those who make these definitions?

Halfordian Golfer
It is impossible to catch and release a wild fish.

From: www.dictionary.com 0 Wild: uncultivated, uninhabited, or waste:
wild country.

Since the word "wild" connotes an absence of man the 'wildness' of
something is inversely proportional to the number of people inhabiting
it. Does a 'wild and scenic' designation mean a direction away from
habitation of these 100's of rivers? What does it mean, in practice?
The Blue, for example is pretty much 'habitated' already. A highway
runs almost its entire length in Colorado. Would we ever consider a
real wildness, ban humans from an area entirely? Do we love fish and
wild places enough or do we just play lip service to the political
gains of those who make these definitions?

Halfordian Golfer
It is impossible to catch and release a wild fish.

Pretty sure "wild and scenic" means no [further] development allowed. It still
allows mankind to interact with whatever it is that's so designated. And,
assuming said mankind doesn't degrade the vicinity, it seems like a win-win
for everyone other than developers...

/daytripper
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On 10 Sep, 02:29, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
.. Would we ever consider a
real wildness, ban humans from an area entirely? Do we love fish and
wild places enough or do we just play lip service to the political
gains of those who make these definitions?

Halfordian Golfer
It is impossible to catch and release a wild fish.

The cause of all such problems is illustrated here;

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2007/623WorldPop.aspx

Continuous pressure from increasing populations, largely a result of
political expansionist policies, dooms more and more of the wilderness
and its contents every year.

The only way to reverse the trend is to limit population growth.

TL
MC