Southern San Francisco Bay

Old February 24th, 2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default Southern San Francisco Bay

Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Frank Reid
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:06:59 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid © 2008
wrote:

Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?

Put snow chains on ALL tires...

Thanks in advance

Aw, shucks, twern't nothing,

Frank Reid

Old February 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 23, 5:06*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. *Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. *I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. *Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Frank Reid

No

I'll ask around for you, let you know if I hear of anything

Old February 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

"Frank Reid © 2008" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 7:40 pm, Larry L wrote:
On Feb 23, 5:06 pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Frank Reid

No

I'll ask around for you, let you know if I hear of anything

Thanks Larry
Frank

Most of the Ocean in closed except for perch. And they actually may be a
candidate for fly fishing. The bay itself is mostly sharks, sturgeon and
rays this time of year. Lexinton Res. on Highway 17 to Santa Cruz should
have some bass from the shore. Steelhead are in the rivers, but most are
out of your range. Russian is probably the closest and that is at least 4
hours one way.

Old February 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 24, 10:51*am, "Bill McKee" wrote:

Most of the Ocean in closed except for perch. *And they actually may be a
candidate for fly fishing. *The bay itself is mostly sharks, sturgeon and
rays this time of year. *Lexinton Res. *on Highway 17 to Santa Cruz should
have some bass from the shore.

the sea perch and warm water lake fishing such as Lexington or a few
others in the hills are the only things I came up with too, Frank
I've never tried it but have heard fun stories about the beach perch.

Heading this way (east) would be a waste ... nothing is likely to be
in fishing condition and it's all pretty marginal even when at it's
best.

Old February 24th, 2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On Feb 24, 1:19*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:51*am, "Bill McKee" wrote:

Most of the Ocean in closed except for perch. *And they actually may be a
candidate for fly fishing. *The bay itself is mostly sharks, sturgeon and
rays this time of year. *Lexinton Res. *on Highway 17 to Santa Cruz should
have some bass from the shore.

the sea perch and warm water lake fishing such as Lexington or a few
others in the hills *are the only things I came up with too, Frank
I've never tried it but have heard fun stories about the beach perch.

Heading this way (east) would be a waste ... nothing is likely to be
in fishing condition and it's all pretty marginal even when at it's
best.

Sand eels for the perch or do you use a shrimp/sand crab pattern?
Frank
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

On Feb 23, 7:40 pm, Larry L wrote:

On Feb 23, 5:06 pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Will be going to San Jose in a couple of weeks. Plane gets in at
about 9 a.m. and I don't have anything till the next morning. I was
thinking either fishing somewhere in the Southern bay or heading over
to the coast. Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Frank Reid

No

I'll ask around for you, let you know if I hear of anything

Thanks Larry
Frank

Most of the Ocean in closed except for perch. And they actually may be a
candidate for fly fishing.

Every year people get swept out to sea to their deaths by freak waves on
that coast. Given Frank's history, he should keep that in mind.

If you're looking for something interesting to do, Frank, think about
going to Ano Nuevo to check out the elephant seals. (You should make a
reservation.)

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 24, 11:57*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

Sand eels for the perch or do you use a shrimp/sand crab pattern?
Frank

the latter is what I've heard about ... never tried it myself ... my
memory is that the patterns I was shown reminded me of shad flies ...
all disclaimers about my "memory" apply

FWIW, I, too, have heard stories of guys being grabbed by waves and
carried out to sea .... careful out there, bud

Monterey Aquarium is a good visit in a nice town with other
possibilities .... not WAY far from San Jose ( although I once lived
in SJ, I haven't been there in years ... any mile may be a long one
now, with traffic and all )

http://www.zenflyfishing.com/beaches.html

knowing your affection for "zen tactics" this caught my eye ....
can't honestly say I read most of it, it tries to load a trillion
pictures G

Old February 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 23, 5:06*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

* Any ideas on spots or other suggestions?

Um, you "might" be able to have a fun afternoon right there at the
perk ponds and/or Vasona near Los Gatos, just walking and fishing from
the banks .... I'd assume they have good populations of bluegill,
crappie, that sort of thing .... I don't know anything about laws,
regs, licenses, fees, etc .... I used to go both places a lot with my
dog and let her play in the water without any problem, in about 1968
( might have changed a little ;-)

another .."um" .... then again I wouldn't do anything based on a
Larry L assumption without verifying it elsewhere -