I see green things...

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

Default I see green things...

wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:47:01 -0500, jeff

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:19:47 -0800, "John B"
wrote:

Yes. I do. Any day now I expect to see my first wild flower of the
season...I think they're buttercups...

I'm just afraid this is going to have to be my last winter...'twas the
worst
I have ever had. There were just days when I didn't even leave the
house....if I saw a sunbeam I'd have to run outside and try to stand in
it,
then I'd get numb from cold...

Clothing that used to suit me well to zero and a little below now
barely
works in the low 20's...

I talked to a realtor Sunday..soon I'll be southbound and down, loaded
up
and truckin...if the house sells...

I'm not sure what you mean by "southbound," but if you plan on staying
in the
US, a couple of things you may wish to consider: 1. I am currently
within sight
of the Sound (well, I would be if I went outside, but, well, it's a bit
chilly
outside...) and, well, it's a bit chilly outside, and 2) I can't tell
you the
exact date, but it snowed in Houston within the last coupla weeks.
Currently,
it's low-mid 30s here and in NO, and mid-20s up in the country. That
said, I
don't ever recall it being truly cold in S. Florida, the Keys, or the
Bahamas
...which, in a demonstration of why there is chocolate and vanilla, is
one of
the few things I _don't_ like about that region (rude Yankees and
certain
Quebecois being among the few remaining other things, mainly in S.
Florida, the
Keys mostly, but not entirely, excepted...).

A tidbit of trivia - it has never, in however long the records have been
kept,
gotten down to 32F/0C in Miami or most of S. Florida (most records are
in the
mid-30s) until this year, where a number of record lows were set in some
of the
inland areas of Palm Beach County - IIRC, it got to 28F around the
lake - still
no "freeze" in most areas, though.

TC,

i lived in miami for 3 years 1972-75. it snowed one day during that
time (i think it was in december or january)... i don't remember
temp...but it was cold.

Oh, IIRC, it has snowed in the Keys (and I know it has snowed all over S.
Florida), but again, IIRC (again, since records have been kept - what it
during
the Ice Age, I don't know), Miami has never gone below 32F. In fact, I
seem to
remember hearing something about a new record set this year or last at
something
like 35-36. Oh, hell, how hard is it to Google? So I just did and
assuming
this to be accurate, according to CNN weather, the record low at MIA was
39F in
1927 and according to a Miami news report, Miami's (I don't know if they
mean
_Miami_ or "Miami" (Miami-Dade metro area) record was 37 until this year,
when
it hit 36 in January.

TC,

jeff

This year....the last I heard...all of the continetal states got
snow...don't know what the decision ever came out to be on Hawaii

john

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

"David LaCourse" SNIP

there is no fly fishing.

And taxes - oy vey.........

Dave (the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence)

I got a good buddy who lives around jasper...there is some prime water in
north Georgia, yessiree Bob...

John want his email?

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-03-05 03:28:25 -0500, "John B" said:

"David LaCourse" SNIP

there is no fly fishing.

And taxes - oy vey.........

Dave (the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence)

I got a good buddy who lives around jasper...there is some prime water in
north Georgia, yessiree Bob...

John want his email?

I was teasing, John. I have found some very good waters to fish, all
within a 20 minute ride. Thanks for the info. If you are in the area,
drop by.

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:47:01 -0500, jeff wrote:

wrote:
[...]

"cold" in miami is relative, given usual tropical temps, but my google
beats yours. miami record low...35. it also last snowed there in 1977.
35 in miami is akin to 40 below in nebraska...relatively speaking. g

jeff
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:

[...]

Those are extremes that are easily tolerated...My main problem is the
extremely short days...and sometimes weeks of not seeing the sun. for some
years now I have fought back valiantly by going to a tanning parlor once a
week for 'light therapy.' this year, I give up...

On a happy note...YUP! The buttercups poked there head above ground
today...and I 've had two days of sunshine looking forward to three more...

john

well hell john, seasonal affective disorder, eh? ...and all this time i
thought it was simply...uh...well, nevermind. G so, where are you
planning to relocate?

jeff
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

35 in miami is akin to 40 below in nebraska...relatively speaking. g

We're still grillin' on the back deck at 40 below. Granted, we might
put on a light jacket if we're gonna stand out side and watch the
steaks, but if you cook by timer the jacket's not needed.
I am completely serious about the above (whoa! Frank being serious?).
I find out how far I've come from my Los Angeles roots when I talk to
some of my high school friends about Nebraska.
I remember only a couple of times growing up in LA where the temps
dropped below freezing.
Frank Reid
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

On a happy note...YUP! *The buttercups poked there head above ground
today...and I 've had two days of sunshine looking forward to three more....

Even better than buttercups or crocus... one of my yard lights finally
poked its solar panel above the snow drift. Lit up the snow from
inside. Kinda cool. Hadn't seen that sucker since early December.
Frank Reid
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 4, 9:58*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:27:22 -0800 (PST), Wolfgang Siebeneich
wrote:

Cretin.

g.

Awww...Iknow you're an orphan and all, but I'm sure you're a special little
goatboy to someon, er, something...

Being and orphandoes not necesarrily entail the sort of unrelieved
Dickensian bleakness that many people suppose it does. It frees up a
lot of time in the evenings and on weekends.

On the other hand, it DOES make a lifetime of living off of Daddy's
largesse somewhat problematic.

Golly gee, HTH,

Moron.

g.

Old March 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 4, 10:01*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:19:17 -0800 (PST), Wolfgang Siebeneich
wrote:

Moron.

g.

Awww...Iknow you're an orphan and all, but I'm sure you're a special little
goatboy to someon, er, something...

Why is it that I'm beginning to get a feeling that you are being
somewhat less than entirely sincere about this?

Golly gee, HTH,

Idiot.

Sincerely.

g.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-03-04 21:53:45 -0500, Giles said:

On Mar 4, 3:46 pm, David LaCourse wrote:
And I see yellow things called daffodils and tulips. But, don't come
to northern Georgia. The winters are long and cold, the wind blows
hard, the people (if you can call them people) are rude, roads are
crooked (as opposed to crooked pols in MA), everyone talks funny, and
there is no fly fishing.

And taxes - oy vey.........

Dave (the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence

)

Idiot.

Pig.

g.

"Little, vicious minds abound with anger and revenge, and are incapable
of feeling the pleasure of forgiving their enemies." * LC- Hide quoted text -

Sounds about right.

Moron.

Pig.

g.