Bobber Hopper

Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

Default Bobber Hopper

Would have been a fantastic day to fish today: was cloudy, snowy and
not all that windy.
Baetis where up every where, thick as a cloud of Big Hole Valley
mosquitos, I know
for sure, because I wasn't there.

I had to stay home and work on the damn house.
Did get a little fly tying time late in the afternoon.
Bobber Hopper was a good fly this year.
Can't sink'em. And the fish like'em. Cutthroats and Browns especially.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...er_Hopper.html

Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On 22 Oct 2006 17:46:35 -0700, "pittendrigh"
wrote:

Would have been a fantastic day to fish today: was cloudy, snowy and
not all that windy.
Baetis where up every where, thick as a cloud of Big Hole Valley
mosquitos, I know
for sure, because I wasn't there.

I had to stay home and work on the damn house.
Did get a little fly tying time late in the afternoon.
Bobber Hopper was a good fly this year.
Can't sink'em. And the fish like'em. Cutthroats and Browns especially.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...er_Hopper.html

When you say you glue it together with CA, is it that really thin CA, and are
you just running the CA down the thread work? Or do you actually try to glue
the foam together with the CA?

/daytripper (of course, hopper time here is long gone...)
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

........well, like I said I don't have a tying-photo sequence yet.
I'll have that eventually. What follows is a tying sequence for
the same fly tied as a dryfly tubefly. But it should answer
your gluing question..........I use a combination of thin CA glue
and thick, and loosely wrapped thread.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...ody_Blank.html

Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

daytripper wrote:

When you say you glue it together with CA, is it that really thin CA, and are
you just running the CA down the thread work? Or do you actually try to glue
the foam together with the CA?

/daytripper (of course, hopper time here is long gone...)

1)
I answered your question already, but now that I look
at what I wrote, I didn't answer your question.

RE "are you just running the CA down the thread work?"

both. I don't glue the parts before assembly or anything like
that. I tie the fly, whip finish and then glue it as a last and
final step. I put a bead of thin CA over the each thread joint
(but only at the end of the abdomen). Then I repeat with a small
drop of thicker ZapAGap or its equivalent, at the base of
the deer hair, the junction of hte kicker legs and body
and the underside of hte body, to bond it to the thread-wrapped
shank.

2) Hopper season ain't done here. I may be the only guy in
montana still fishing them. But I like to use a relatively small
bright yellow hopper as a bobber, with a dry BWO or a small soft hackle
wetfly (possibly a beadhead) dragging behind the hopper.

I can't see **** anymore, so I need the hopper to get my eyes on
target. If I see a swirl behind the hopper, I set the hook.
At the end of the day I often have 2-3 additional fish that took the
hopper. I've done that as late as mid-November. They few that
take the hopper are almost *always* browns, and they're usually big.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On 23 Oct 2006 07:44:12 -0700, "pittendrigh"
wrote:

daytripper wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sandy. I'll have to give that pattern a try next season...