A meaningless observation and a question

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:02 PM
Conan the Librarian

Default A meaningless observation and a question

ROFFians,

I was out at my favorite local river over the weekend, and things
were very slow (*very* slow). At one point, I saw a few smallish fish
sporadically rising, but could see no signs of any bugs on the water or
any minnow activity.

Just for fun I dug out a large (#10) parachute Adams that I had tied
up more-or-less as a joke after having such good luck with #16 para
Adams on my trip to Canuckistan.

On the second drift I got a hit from a small sunfish, and I
continued getting action on almost every cast (well, on every good
drift, anyway) for the next 15-20 minutes. The fly took sunfish and
small Guadalupe bass.

I still can't figure out what they took the Adams for. The only
bugs in the air were some dragon and damselflies, but they were off in
color and size, and the fish weren't rising to them that I could see. I
don't know if the Adams might resemble an emerger or if it just looked
like some sort of generic food to them. Whatever it was, it saved me
from a fishless day on the water.

So has anyone else had luck with the Adams on both warm and
coldwater species?

Chuck Vance (who is wondering if a #2/0 Adams would work for
sal****er fish ;-)

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:10 PM
Tim J.

Conan the Librarian wrote:
[...]

The Adams is one of those indespensible patterns that imitates nothing, but
usually seems to draw attention from fish. I probably use that dry patterns more
than any, and certainly have Adams tied in more sizes than any other dry fly in
my box.

Just for fun, I tied up a #6 Adams and Royal Wulff. Both worked extremely well
for bluegill.
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:31 PM
Tim J.

Tim J. wrote:
. . . indespensible . . .

a New England word, meaning "freakin' wicked awesome"
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 31st, 2004, 03:11 PM
GaryM

"Tim J." wrote in
:

The Adams is one of those indespensible patterns that imitates
nothing, but usually seems to draw attention from fish. I probably
use that dry patterns more than any, and certainly have Adams tied
in more sizes than any other dry fly in my box.

I was fishing a mountain stream this past weekend that sees sparse
hatches and probably nothing like an Adams. Yet I was getting hits on
most decent drifts. It is a superb 'go to' pattern when all else
fails. It defines bugginess. On the 'Kill a friend was walking back
upstream after successfully putting down a pool of rising fish and
caught a brookie on his Adams that was dragging behind him.

It does not work at the secret spot though. Nothing does.

Old August 31st, 2004, 03:37 PM
Tim J.

GaryM wrote:
"Tim J." wrote in
:

The Adams is one of those indespensible patterns that imitates
nothing, but usually seems to draw attention from fish. I probably
use that dry patterns more than any, and certainly have Adams tied
in more sizes than any other dry fly in my box.

I was fishing a mountain stream this past weekend that sees sparse
hatches and probably nothing like an Adams. Yet I was getting hits on
most decent drifts. It is a superb 'go to' pattern when all else
fails. It defines bugginess. On the 'Kill a friend was walking back
upstream after successfully putting down a pool of rising fish and
caught a brookie on his Adams that was dragging behind him.

It does not work at the secret spot though. Nothing does.

There's a fly that works every time, but it's a secret.
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:54 PM
Big Dale

[...]

I had a good friend who fished the Perch-Off at the Austin Angler for many
years and was damn near disqualified AGAIN a few years ago when he hit a hex
hatch out near the school on Town Lake and he caught one of those trash fish
(largemouth bass) on a size 4 adams. It was close to a perfect match for the
bugs on the water. This was at about daybreak that morning.

Big Dale