TR: Wehrspann Lake, NE

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

Default TR: Wehrspann Lake, NE

Okay, get up bright and e30arly as the bride comes home from work.
Gonna take the pontoon boat out and fish.
Last night, I put the pontoon together, filled the bladders and left
it together overnight. Only one cotter pin missing and all held
together.
Crap, its raining with thunder. I wait till the edge of the rain goes
past on radar, deflate the pontoon, disassemble, load it the car and
am out the door at 11. Hit the store, get cotter pin, another store
for ice in the cooler, and I'm off. I'm at the lake at noon. Start
to assemble.
CRAP! The hole set of clip pins are not in the bag. I tear every
thing apart. Not there. Go to Cabelas down the road, they don't sell
them, Wally World (I feel dirty, but I had to go fishing) and nada.
Okay, 30 minute drive home.
Not in the garage! CRAP Cubed. I open up the car again to tear every
thing apart again. There are the pins, stuck to the back door latch.
They fall at my feet.
Back in the car. Back to the lake. Its now 1:30, 2:00 and I'm at the
lake. Put everything together and LAUNCH!
The area I fish is a wetland behind a Corps of Engineers dam. The dam
protects the road and moderates the flow into Lake Wehrspann. Not
deep, probably 12 feet max in the creek channel. Most of it is less
than a foot and weedy.
Stayed in the channel and fished a Snohomish Sunrise and got a few
small fish. Worked down the channel about 3/4 a mile and turned
around. Time to switch thinks up.
Fish didn't hit a popper, Chenobyl Ant, or white streamer. Finally
switched to a size 10 Circus Peanut in brown and bronze. BINGO! We
have a winner. Learned about this fly on the White. Guide used it in
size 2 for the big browns down there. I thought it would make a great
bass fly. I even tie it with a spoon spinner blade attached. The
spinners are replacement blades and wires for little Beetle Spins.
I flicked the fly hard up on the bank and wham. 3 fish in three
casts. The two biggest are 20". Not keee pers on this lake (gotta be
21") but I don't keep 'em anyway. The fish averaged about 16 or 17
inches. Got about 20 on the day. Great day.
When I got out, there was a gentleman taking pics. He had been the
biologist for the Corps of Engineers who designed the impoundment.
He's retired now and going around getting pics of the places he built
or helped design. I raved about the place and his smile got bigger
and bigger. He left a very happy man.... as did I.
Frank Reid
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Okay, get up bright and e30arly as the bride comes home from work.
Gonna take the pontoon boat out and fish.
snip

Nicely done, thanks for a nice TR. I hope wayno approves. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 4, 10:07*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Okay, get up bright and e30arly as the bride comes home from work.
Gonna take the pontoon boat out and fish.
snip

Nicely done, thanks for a nice TR. I hope wayno approves. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Looked at it and see that the mouse jumped stuff around whilst typing
and dumped parts of words in weird places. Ubuntu Linux has some
issues with the touchpad mouse on this system.
Frank Reid

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 7/4/2011 2:34 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
nice TR, Frank!!

Tom
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 4, 4:54*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 7/4/2011 2:34 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
nice TR, Frank!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Well, got the Nebraska Trifecta plus one, bass, bluegill, crappie and
a snail. Yeah, a snail. What the hell. Got a catfish in the same
impoundment on Saturday. 'Bout 4 or 5 lbs. Lotta fun on the fly.
Frank Reid
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 4, 11:05*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:54*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:

On 7/4/2011 2:34 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:
nice TR, Frank!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Well, got the Nebraska Trifecta plus one, bass, bluegill, crappie and
a snail. *Yeah, a snail. *What the hell. *Got a catfish in the same
impoundment on Saturday. *'Bout 4 or 5 lbs. *Lotta fun on the fly.
Frank Reid

Catfish fought better than the snail.
Frank Reid
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

Default Wehrspann Lake, NE

"Frank Reid © 2010" wrote in message
Okay, get up bright and e30arly as the bride comes home from work.
Gonna take the pontoon boat out and fish.

a little sparse, but acceptable...

yfitons
wayno(that was for forty, the word hoarder)