Pelagics?

Old July 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM
-- Rob

Default Pelagics?

Guys:

What's your favorite pattern for pelagics (blues, bonito, albies, spanish
macs)?
I've heard about various epoxy flies, and small bunny flies, but plan on tying
and
trying for these buggers in August.

-- Rob
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Tim Williams

G'day Rob
As for your pelagic patterns, try Surf Candys sizes 4 to 2/0, Polar Fibre
Minnows.. same size hooks, Neer Hair Minnows, Garfish Patterns, Cube Fly
Patterns (if ya get desperate and start burleying up and throwing cubed
baitfish in, a cube pattern fly (to represent a fishes head) once dropped in
the middle of the chum can often pick up BIG fish.. especially your Longtail
Tuna (Bluefin Tuna) and also, dont forget your clouser minnows, various
weights in hook eyes, basic rule, keep the belly of the clouser white, and
when i tie it in, i try and add a bit of sparkle flash so it can shimmer a
bit on the drop

hope that helps a lil bit

Tim

Tim Williams
Sportsfishing South East Qld, Australia
http://www.fishseq.com - http://www.fishseq.net
Soft Plastics - Hardbody Lures - Flyfishing - Spinnerbaits

Old July 27th, 2004, 12:41 PM
-- Rob

cube pattern fly (to represent a fishes head) once dropped in
the middle of the chum can often pick up BIG fish.. especially your Longtail
Tuna (Bluefin Tuna)

those are not available for this shorebound angler, unfortunately

but I'll definitely be trying epoxys and clousers.

-- Rob
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Tim Williams

you can try burleying up while being shore based... also try a gold bomber
fly.. .. very affective fly when shore based.. very big and bulky.. on a
size 2/0 hook its around 5" long try this link to see what a bomber looks
like
http://www.fishseq.com/modules.php?s...view_photo.php

They are a top producer for inshore/offshore fish.. you can change the
colours to greens and blues and such.. but gold and black is our most common
colour for fish like Barramundi

Old July 30th, 2004, 12:43 PM
-- Rob

you can try burleying up while being shore based...

pardon my ignorance, but what does "burleying up" mean?

The bomber is a cool fly, it is imitated by a black over gold bomber A long
lure by the spin fisherman! Never saw a fly in that color though.
Around here for striped bass that is a top nighttime lure color combination.

Most of the fish that are known as pelagics around here (not sure what a
barramundi is, but I'll look it up) go for, as you suggest, greens/blues over
white with some flash...from what I've read.

Thanks,
Rob
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Tim Williams

Burleying is probably known as Chumming to you?? the process of cutting up
frozen bait (fish, squid, shrimp/prawns) and throwing them in the water to
attract predatory fish

The Bomber is indeed a cool fly, and you are correct, it is an imatation of
a B52 Gold Bomber Lure used by alot of lure fisherman world wide, but here
in Australia, it is most commonly used for fish like Barramundi and Mangrove
Jacks (Australian Native Fish Species, Barramundi get to around 120lbs and
is a fresh and sal****er fish, Mangrove Jack's are known as the pitbulls of
the rivers, one of the hardest fighting fish in our waters pound for pound,
a 2kg Mangrove Jack can blow out 20lb braided line.. Mangrove Jacks get to
around 19kgs, they live in our river systems till they reach about 3 to 4kg
and 80cm then head out to the reef's)

The fish we have here are different, but we do share the most common
pelagics, like tunas and a fish you call BlueFish, we call them tailor,
average weight is around the 10lb mark, but we get them upto 30lb and they
can sometimes be a pest they are that prolific, but they are usually a year
round fish, but still move off during the warmer months

and yes, Green and Blue over White is very affective, probably as its the
most common colour for baitfish, but also a suggestion, if your going to try
and "match the hatch" as they say, make your fly a fraction larger then the
fish they are feeding on so it stands out a bit more.. even using a felt tip
pen to make lines across the back of the fly to give it that baitfishy look
of camoflage can help

But this clouser here should work the best for you..
http://www.fishseq.com/modules.php?s...ew _photo.php

Hope that helps