marlow

Old April 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Fantom

Default marlow

Hi, ive never been course fishing before but since i live closer to a river
than the sea, i might start.

I have a spinning rod that i use for sea fishing, lures etc.

closest decent fishing spot to me is marlow. What could i expect to catch
with that setup?

If not what inexpensive setup would anyone recommend for general course
fishing in marlow

tia

Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , Fantom
writes
Hi, ive never been course fishing before but since i live closer to a river
than the sea, i might start.

I have a spinning rod that i use for sea fishing, lures etc.

closest decent fishing spot to me is marlow. What could i expect to catch
with that setup?

If not what inexpensive setup would anyone recommend for general course
fishing in marlow

tia

Pike and Perch, possibly the odd Chub as well on spinners/plugs (but not
until 16th June - it's the close season on the rivers at the moment).

You can get a reasonable coarse rod & reel for less than £50 - say a 13'
float rod or 11' quiver tip, I'd go for the tip rod on the river. Best
bet is to find a local tackle shop and go in and ask. They'll be able to
give local advice on what works where you plan to go including what club
memberships or day tickets you'll need.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Fantom
wrote:
Hi, ive never been course fishing before but since i live closer to a river
than the sea, i might start.

I have a spinning rod that i use for sea fishing, lures etc.

closest decent fishing spot to me is marlow. What could i expect to catch
with that setup?

[ You will need a licence, permission to fish the water - some of which is,
iIrc, free in your area. You must wait until the season opens on June 16th.
]

Add a wire trace to your standard setup - no sea angler ever believes how
sharp are pike's teeth ;-)

Pike, perch, chub, and trout (trout mostly only in wierpools) will take
your sal****er lures.

Bream and barbel will take small lures spun deep.

Almost all coarse fish will take *tiny* lures (too small for standard
spinning gear but possible float-spining or on a fly-rod.)

If not what inexpensive setup would anyone recommend for general course
fishing in marlow

Use your mullet gear. Ignore the usual advice about invisible hooks and
spider thread lines. Use your spinning trips to mark down decent fish and
a worm in front of them and you should do OK.

Have fun. Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf

"Fantom" wrote in message
Hi, ive never been course fishing before but since i live closer to a
river than the sea, i might start.

I have a spinning rod that i use for sea fishing, lures etc.

closest decent fishing spot to me is marlow. What could i expect to catch
with that setup?

If not what inexpensive setup would anyone recommend for general course
fishing in marlow

tia

Hi, give ebay a try for tackle, you can get some bargains on there, although
your spinning rod should be fine for river fishing anyway, ( season closed
in almost all areas till June 16th, so I'd check first)