adg fly rods and reels??

Old December 4th, 2003, 07:01 AM
steve sullivan

Default adg fly rods and reels??

Anyone familiar with them? I have bought 2 adg 6/7/8 reels (retail
$240), a adg titanium 7/8 rod (retail $900,), adg custom sized weighters
(retail $329)

They are all very good quality wise. I like the reels as much as I like
my hardy lrh.

What are people's opinion of them? While they are great products, the
warranty's are very discouraging.

My $200 plus reel's warranty card says :
UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY. If any part of the reel fails to perform for
any reason, send it to us for repair with your address, receipt, and
registration copy, and $9.50 for shipping and handling.

Ok, you buy a $240 reel and they will fix it for ANY REASON for just
$9.50. But wait, after you have had your product a while you find out
they dont like just getting $9.50, so after the fact they are changing
your unconditional warranty to charging you $69.

This reel is as well built as my hardy, so I am not that concerned
My $450(on sale)rod says it has a unconditional lifetime warranty, for
$49 they will fix it or send you a new one. Apparently they are now
changing it to $100. I have not confirmed that but I will almost
certainly take it back if this is true. When one buys a rod that
retails for $900 and it has a uncondtional warranty, having to pay $100
if anything happens is insane.

Have any of the other companys changed the pricing of warranty AFTER THE
FACT? Because ADG has no qualms about retroactively changing the
warranty.

Adg are AWESOME PRODUCTS. In my opinion their warranty is insane. You
get the old bait and switch. You get a unconditional warranty with your
$250 reel that they will fix it for $9.95 and they then change it on you
to $70. Your $450 rod (retails for $900) they decide to change your
warranty from $49 to $98.

What are good rods in 8/9 weight that are titanium, and what is the
warranty?

Adg products are very good products, but their thinking they can change
the costs of a warranty after the fact greatly sully the company
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, steve sullivan wrote:

When one buys a rod that retails for $900 and it has a uncondtional
warranty, having to pay $100 if anything happens is insane.

Buying a rod for $900 is insane (BTW I might be insane).

The very idea of an unconditional warranty is insane (or more likely
economically untenable).

Paying $100 for the labor and material required to fix any high quality
rod is reasonable.

Mu
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:40 PM
daytripper

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:29:13 -0500, Mu Young Lee wrote:

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, steve sullivan wrote:

When one buys a rod that retails for $900 and it has a uncondtional
warranty, having to pay $100 if anything happens is insane.

Buying a rod for $900 is insane (BTW I might be insane).

The very idea of an unconditional warranty is insane (or more likely
economically untenable).

Paying $100 for the labor and material required to fix any high quality
rod is reasonable.

Mu

I'm still struggling with the "titanium" fly rods...

/daytripper (what's up with that?)
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:00 AM
rw

daytripper wrote:

I'm still struggling with the "titanium" fly rods...

/daytripper (what's up with that?)

As I understand it, they're titanium/graphite composites.

It's probably about 90% hype, aimed at high-tech gears whore who need
the latest and greatest (and most expensive) thing, but titanium
composited with graphite has some excellent properties for fly rods,
including lighter weight and/or greater strength (take your pick). The
material has been used in tennis rackets and golf clubs for years, and
it's increasingly being used in airplanes.

I'm not going out to buy a titanium rod any time soon, but I'm willing
to believe it might someday become the standard for high-end rods.

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:14 AM
daytripper

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:00:33 GMT, rw wrote:

daytripper wrote:

I'm still struggling with the "titanium" fly rods...

/daytripper (what's up with that?)

As I understand it, they're titanium/graphite composites.

It's probably about 90% hype, aimed at high-tech gears whore who need
the latest and greatest (and most expensive) thing, but titanium
composited with graphite has some excellent properties for fly rods,
including lighter weight and/or greater strength (take your pick). The
material has been used in tennis rackets and golf clubs for years, and
it's increasingly being used in airplanes.

I'm not going out to buy a titanium rod any time soon, but I'm willing
to believe it might someday become the standard for high-end rods.

I assume it's *at least* 90% hype ;-)

Does titanium offer any advantages over, say, boron, in a fly rod?
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:53 AM
rw

daytripper wrote:

Does titanium offer any advantages over, say, boron, in a fly rod?

Yes.

Old December 5th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Wayne Knight

"steve sullivan" wrote in message
Anyone familiar with them? I have bought 2 adg 6/7/8 reels (retail
$240), a adg titanium 7/8 rod (retail $900,), adg custom sized weighters
(retail $329)

Not to be contrary, but since you have bought 2 reels, one rod, and waders
(not sure I want to be wading a big bruising river wearing weighters)
obviously you liked them and said such. What does it matter what the rest of
us think of them? and why should you care if we like them or not.

Assuming you came by the money legally, and did not use the mortgage or
grocery money to buy the stuff, your use of the stuff and what you paid for
it are your own business.

Warranties change from lots of companies. If one business model doesn't
work and then you try something else or close. Personally, IMO, any
"uncoditional" warranty involving anything more than a shipping charge is
not an unconditional warranty. Regardless you can run your reel over with a
truck and still get a new one for $9, $49, or $100. Seems to me you still
come out a head.

While it doesn' t mean anything, I've not heard of adg products except here.
But allow me to give you your first economics lesson. If your retail $900
rod, sells for $450, then bubba your rod retails for $450.

Wayne
who can see a $900 rod, if made by a master like Tom Morgan or if the blank
consist of Tonkin Cane.

Old December 5th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Other rod and blank companies have used the titanium hype, They mix a little
titanium fairy dust in the resin and we're all supposed to beat a path to
their door. The old sales adage still applies, if it's "Improved" the price
just went up, if it's "New and Improved" it just doubled.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Kevin Vang

In article Pine.SOL.4.58.0312041611390.24827
@timepilot.gpcc.itd.umich.edu, says...
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, steve sullivan wrote:

When one buys a rod that retails for $900 and it has a uncondtional
warranty, having to pay $100 if anything happens is insane.

Buying a rod for $900 is insane (BTW I might be insane).

The very idea of an unconditional warranty is insane (or more likely
economically untenable).

Paying $100 for the labor and material required to fix any high quality
rod is reasonable.

That's pretty much what you're doing though. The rod company is just
charging you up front for the cost of the replacement rod(s) that they
assume you will need someday.

For the math/statistics geeks in the audience, define a random variable
X = cost of servicing the warranty on a rod (which might involve some
complicated formulas to account for the time value of the money involved
and interest rates and such) and find the probability distribution for
X, which I will assume will be based on the Poisson distribution, and
then add the expected value E(X) onto the purchase price of the rod.

In other words, you aren't just paying for the rod, you are also paying
the premium on a lifetime insurance policy against breakage. It might
be nice if the rod companies would itemize the costs, and give the buyer
the option of not paying the insurance premium, or to pay a lower
premium in return for applying a deductible on any damage claims.

Kevin
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:42 PM
JR

Kevin Vang wrote:

In other words, you aren't just paying for the rod, you are also paying
the premium on a lifetime insurance policy against breakage. It might
be nice if the rod companies would itemize the costs, and give the buyer
the option of not paying the insurance premium, or to pay a lower
premium in return for applying a deductible on any damage claims.

This may be what the makers of high-end rods will do (offer the warranty
as a point-of-sale option), rather than drop the unconditional warranty
altogether. How much would you be willing to pay for a SAGE SLT or a
Winston LT with no warranty?

JR