Furled leader vs. tapered mono

Old November 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Furled leader vs. tapered mono

You might also like to try this;

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/Tips_Singapore.shtml

Many of the advantages of a furled leader, very cheap and quick to
make ( with a little practice), and suitable for most types of fly
fishing.

TL
MC
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

By the way, a braided or braid butt leader, is not the same as a
twined, furled, or twisted ( Singaporean) leader. Braid leaders cause
problems picking up water in the braid, and cause spray and splashing
when casting. Furled leaders of solid material, i.e. Nylon mono, or
Uni thread etc, do not cause the same problems, especially when
treated with the appropriate floatant.

TL
MC
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Nov 10, 1:27*pm, Ken Fortenberry
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? *I'm curious about how they cast?

snip
There is a lot more info on the web.

Of course there's info on the web, you loony asshole, too
damn much info. That's why folks post here, to get first
hand, non-biased, non-commercial info from folks who know
what they're talking about. Any fool can do a friggin'
Google and post the links. As you have aptly demonstrated.

--
Ken Fortenberry

**** off Kenny Boy.
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? *I'm curious about how they cast?

snip
There is a lot more info on the web.

Of course there's info on the web, you loony asshole, too
damn much info. That's why folks post here, to get first
hand, non-biased, non-commercial info from folks who know
what they're talking about. Any fool can do a friggin'
Google and post the links. As you have aptly demonstrated.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Why do you post here Kenny boy? Apparently just to annoy people,
because you know next to nothing about fishing, and you are invariably
stupid and offensive to boot.

Stick to homos and politics, seems you know more about those than
about anything else.
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

"Peaceful Bill" wrote in message

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

As for me, tried 'em, didn't like 'em, don't, won't use 'em. Not
enough oomph in the bass bug sizes and too much splash in the
delicate dry fly sizes.

Good enough. Thanks.

No flame wars intended.

FWIW, I'm one of the folks who likes furled leaders. But I don't care
for the ones made from mono, as they don't seem to be much of an improvement
over a regular mono tapered leader. I make my own from Unithread, and to me
that's the only way to go if you're going furled. They are very supple,
turn over really nicely, and contrary to Ken's statement, they don't spray
if they are treated with floatant. (I use Mucilin on mine.)

Having said all that, I don't use them exclusively, but they are decent
for dry fly fishing in situations where you're working with a short line
out. And if you attach a "tippet ring" to the end, it makes for easy tippet
changes and the leader will last just about as long as you want it to.

FYI, furled are not the same as braided.

Chuck Vance

Old November 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

The tippet you tie to the ring, is that furled or just plain mono ?
If it's mono that would probably solve my splash problem but still
I haven't ever used one that was better than just a well constructed
mono leader and in the case of heaving bass bugs where I like a really
stiff butt on my leader the furled ones are inferior. IMNSHO.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

The leaders I was asking about have those rings for tying (looping) on
tippets.

In the past, I've usually used mono leaders that are fairly heavy.
Sometimes a 2X or 3X mono leader on a 4wt or 5wt rod. I usually use 5x
or 6x flouro tippet. Leader turns over OK but sometimes creates a
pretty good hinge at the tippet.
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

The tippet you tie to the ring, is that furled or just plain mono ?

Plain mono. I make a fairly short furled leader (I think the board I
currently have does about a 6' leader), and then attach a long tippet
section to it.

If it's mono that would probably solve my splash problem but still
I haven't ever used one that was better than just a well constructed
mono leader and in the case of heaving bass bugs where I like a really
stiff butt on my leader the furled ones are inferior. IMNSHO.

No argument there. The major strength (no pun intended) of a thread
furled leader (suppleness) is not so helpful when tossing large bugs.

Chuck Vance

Old November 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Nov 10, 4:39*pm, Peaceful Bill
wrote:

The leaders I was asking about have those rings for tying (looping) on
tippets.

In the past, I've usually used mono leaders that are fairly heavy.
Sometimes a 2X or 3X mono leader on a 4wt or 5wt rod. *I usually use 5x
or 6x flouro tippet. *Leader turns over OK but sometimes creates a
pretty good hinge at the tippet.

If you want to avoid hinging at the ring, then you must use tippet of
the appropriate diameter ( and/or stiffness), and knot it. For this
reason, some people superglue ( cyanoacrylate glue) the knots as well.

For a number of applications,( slack line nymphing for instance, with
or without an indicator) lighter tippet which hinges at a right angle
is beneficial in reaching depth more quickly and gives better
indication. You need to use a tuck cast with such leaders to PREVENT
them straightening out at presentation.

For dry fly fishing, you need the right tippet to enable power
transfer and turnover. Stepping down if required. If the tippet you
use is too light, or merely looped, then it will hings, and power
transfer is also badly affected.

Some info here;

http://www.derekmckenzie.com.au/blueskystory.html

TL