Furled leader vs. tapered mono

Old November 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Default Furled leader vs. tapered mono

Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they cast?
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they
cast?

You *do* realize this is how flame wars get started, right?
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 10th, 2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Tim J. wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they
cast?

You *do* realize this is how flame wars get started, right?

Yabut this is actually on topic. And its an honest question. I've seen
them in the local shop (Feather Craft), they make outrageous claims
about how wonderful they are.

And flame war? On this newsgroup? Impossible. Everybody always agrees
with everybody else (TFPIC).
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Peaceful Bill wrote:

Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they cast?

Timmmmmay is right of course, this particular bone has been picked
to death on roff and the horse from which we obtained the bone had
been beaten long after it expired. Not to mix metaphors or anything. ;-)

As for me, tried 'em, didn't like 'em, don't, won't use 'em. Not
enough oomph in the bass bug sizes and too much splash in the
delicate dry fly sizes.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Peaceful Bill wrote:
Tim J. wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they
cast?

You *do* realize this is how flame wars get started, right?

Yabut this is actually on topic. And its an honest question. I've
seen them in the local shop (Feather Craft), they make outrageous
claims about how wonderful they are.

No, seriously. Google past posts on "furled leaders" and you'll see. It's
not pretty.
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 10th, 2008, 03:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peaceful Bill

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:

Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they cast?

Timmmmmay is right of course, this particular bone has been picked
to death on roff and the horse from which we obtained the bone had
been beaten long after it expired. Not to mix metaphors or anything. ;-)

As for me, tried 'em, didn't like 'em, don't, won't use 'em. Not
enough oomph in the bass bug sizes and too much splash in the
delicate dry fly sizes.

Good enough. Thanks.

No flame wars intended.
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 9-Nov-2008, Peaceful Bill wrote:

And flame war? On this newsgroup? Impossible. Everybody always agrees
with everybody else (TFPIC).

Furled leaders - is this a political post?
Are you referring to the past or the incoming administration?
If the past, there are better descriptive adjectives

Fred
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Peaceful Bill wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they cast?

Timmmmmay is right of course, this particular bone has been picked
to death on roff and the horse from which we obtained the bone had
been beaten long after it expired. Not to mix metaphors or anything. ;-)

As for me, tried 'em, didn't like 'em, don't, won't use 'em. Not
enough oomph in the bass bug sizes and too much splash in the
delicate dry fly sizes.

Good enough. Thanks.

No flame wars intended.

One person's flame war is another person's spirited discussion.
Timmmmmay is something of a, how shall I put this, a delicate
and sensitive soul who is preternaturally averse to controversy.

Let's just say that roff hasn't reached a consensus on furled
leaders.

Which is no reason why we can't revisit it from time to time,
I mean what else are we gonna do, play stupid physics games ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Peaceful Bill wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? I'm curious about how they
cast?

Timmmmmay is right of course, this particular bone has been picked
to death on roff and the horse from which we obtained the bone had
been beaten long after it expired. Not to mix metaphors or
anything. ;-) As for me, tried 'em, didn't like 'em, don't, won't use
'em. Not
enough oomph in the bass bug sizes and too much splash in the
delicate dry fly sizes.

Good enough. Thanks.

No flame wars intended.

One person's flame war is another person's spirited discussion.
Timmmmmay is something of a, how shall I put this, a delicate
and sensitive soul who is preternaturally averse to controversy.

ESAD. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Nov 10, 4:35*am, Peaceful Bill
wrote:
Anyone using furled / braided leaders? *I'm curious about how they cast?

They cast alright, indeed very well, but some types cause other
problems with presentation, although opinions differ very considerably
on this. This also depends to an extent on what sort of presentation
you want.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ed_leader.aspx

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/

http://www.fallrun.com/page/page/4547466.htm

http://www.tntroutbum.com/tntb_leadfaq.html

There is a lot more info on the web. Best to try a couple, and see if
they suit you.

TL
MC