Steelhead flies

Old October 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

Default Steelhead flies

"daytripper" wrote in message

Better question: how does anyone lose that many flies in one season? ;-)

/daytripper (who's still fishing the flies I tied ten years ago!)

Observation: You aren't fishin' NC streams stalked by hungry rhodos.

Mark --who plans to fish above the cable this week and get pics of the changes the
floods caused.--

Old October 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Tim J.

daytripper wrote:
Guy Thornberg wrote:

Warren,
How is it you tie a 1,000 or more flies a year and have not been
angling (with fly rod) for steelies, or tied any steelhead flies? Go
for some lowly egg patterns in the backwater. Maybe you'll get
lucky. Or contact me and we can whip a few flies out
Guy

Better question: how does anyone lose that many flies in one season?
;-)

Until just this season, I lost a lot of flies each outing. Now I lose a few here
and there to structure, hardly any to the greenery on the banks, and a few
break-offs to fish. Even in my prime I never lost 1,000. ;-) I think the
"incentive plan" is working. That's the one where I have no tying station so I
have to set up my stuff each time I want to tie.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Warren

wrote...
Warren,
How is it you tie a 1,000 or more flies a year and have not been angling
(with fly rod) for steelies, or tied any steelhead flies?

Do a web search for steelhead fishing in Montana. I'm sure you can
figure it out. ;-)

Go for some lowly
egg patterns in the backwater. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I plan on trying some egg patters to see what happens, but I am really
enjoying tying up these Undertakers and Signal Lights so I plan on
buying (yack!) egg patterns when I get to where I am going. Tying flies
on #6 hooks is WEIRD after tying on small hooks (#16-22s). Luck is
something that I totally planning on. I would really like to catch an
actual steelhead on a fly rod. I have caught the youngin's before (I
always forget what they call the ones that haven't gone out to the salt
yet). I caught one when I visited my Uncle in Oregon once and one in
California, both on hardware and both were many, many years ago. Much
of the info I have had prior to my post has come from people from ROFF
that I have fished with several times out here. Chas Wade told me to
have some egg patterns too and does far more steelhead fishing than the
others so I have some questions for you.

Or contact me and we
can whip a few flies out

Thanks! I definitely will drop you a line. Perhaps you can answer some
of the questions that I still have too. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt and earth(nospam)link dot net to reply via email)
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Chas Wade

Warren wrote:
wrote...
Warren,
How is it you tie a 1,000 or more flies a year and have not been
angling
(with fly rod) for steelies, or tied any steelhead flies?

Do a web search for steelhead fishing in Montana. I'm sure you can
figure it out. ;-)

Go for some lowly
egg patterns in the backwater. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I plan on trying some egg patters to see what happens, but I am really
enjoying tying up these Undertakers and Signal Lights so I plan on
buying (yack!) egg patterns when I get to where I am going.

Don't buy the eggs Warren. Nobody sells the right ones, and I'll have
plenty to start with.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old October 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Warren

lid wrote...
You have a pretty good selection. I would scratch the Ponois and get the
rest of the Randall Kauffman flies. You have three of them, Coal Car,
Signal light and Freight train. There are a few more. Two very good flies
that you don't have are Purple Peril and Fly de Jour. you should have a lot
of black flies, and purple fles, both with white and black wings.
Re size, I would go primarily with 4's, except if the water is very low.
Then you should have some 6's or low water 4's (much more lightly dressed).
Most peole beleive that the color of the fly is not important. Other people
say any color as long as it is black or purple.

Thanks for the info!

Between packing for the trip, unpacking from a recent move and work I
haven't had nearly as much time as I had anticipated to tie flies.
Figure in the amount of time that I have spent trying to "research" 50
lifetimes worth of info on something that is still not understood and
you can basically understand why I feel like a three peckered buck
rabbit during the peak of breeding season. I do have the Undertakers
and Signal Lights done though. :-) I have the materials on hand to tie
Purple Perils, but I don't have a recipe for "Fly de Jour." Do you have
any info? I also received an email that said Green Butt Skunks have
taken more steelhead than any other fly and to make sure that I had some
of those. Any comments?

If anybody has links to cool web sites that have pics and recipes for
steelhead flies, I could really use those too. This is my first trip,
but I plan on making another within a few months. I have soooooo much
to learn....... :-(

Old October 7th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Sierra fisher

I'll look for a pattern but you can see it in this selection of flies. What
makes it different, is that it is a "lantern" fly; that is it has a very
bright butt. You first put on silver mylar which is very reflective, then
cover it with pink Edge Bright, or anything else that is highly reflective.
Finish the rest of the body with purple chenile, wrap a silver rib, add a
purple beard, and a white wing. this has been a killer fly on the Deshutes.
Edge bright comes in hot reds, hot pinks, ornage, greens etc. You can use
the silver tensil base and edge bright to make any fly a "lantern" fly

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com