Queen of the Waters

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Lazarus Cooke

Default Queen of the Waters

Does anyone know where this fly is first recorded, and where it comes
from?

Veniard has versions of it in both volumes of the Fly Dresser's Guide,
but Courtney Williams doesn't appear to mention it. It's often referred
to as a British fly that became particularly popular in N. America.

Also, how authentic is the GP tippet tail?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Sandy Birrell

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
Does anyone know where this fly is first recorded, and where it comes
from?

Veniard has versions of it in both volumes of the Fly Dresser's Guide,
but Courtney Williams doesn't appear to mention it. It's often
referred to as a British fly that became particularly popular in N.
America.

Also, how authentic is the GP tippet tail?

Lazarus

I found this.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...s/part199.html

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old October 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Sandy
Birrell wrote:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...s/part199.html

Many thanks for this, Sandy. I hadn't heard of Wilson before, but he
sounds a fascinating guy.

I notice that the British Library don't appear to have the Marbury
book. I'll have to try to persuade them to get it.

Do you know is the fly much used in Scotland these days?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Old October 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Sandy Birrell

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Sandy
Birrell wrote:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...s/part199.html

Many thanks for this, Sandy. I hadn't heard of Wilson before, but he
sounds a fascinating guy.

I notice that the British Library don't appear to have the Marbury
book. I'll have to try to persuade them to get it.

Do you know is the fly much used in Scotland these days?

Lazarus

Untill now I had never heard of the fly. The site above I Googled.

The book is on sale at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72759?v=glance

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old October 17th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Willi & Sue

Sandy Birrell wrote:

Untill now I had never heard of the fly. The site above I Googled.

I always thought it was a great name for a fly. I had heard of it but
never saw one. I always assumed it was one of the fancy and gaudy Brook
Trout patterns that were developed in the States.

Willi

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Kiyu

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:49:57 +0100, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

Does anyone know where this fly is first recorded, and where it comes
from?

Used to be a favorite in the States but don't know where it
originated.
I found it mentioned in some old Forest and Stream magazines from the
early 1900's a friend had (and was quite popular in the Marbury book
for my state) so about 15 years ago I tied up a few of them to try on
a small mountain stream as it was supposed to be a killer fly for
brook trout (and had a great name).
It came back to me quickly why I took over a season to catch my first
trout (on wet flies). I tried them wet, dry and on toast but couldn't
interest a single fish. Clearly a better angler than myself could
have made them work.
Should you ever fish them it'd be great to hear how you did.

Kiyu