Swarm of fish - advice

Old June 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
[email protected]

Default Swarm of fish - advice

I've been beach spinning lure fishing about 15 times now and I've still to
catch anything.

Last night just as it was getting dark, I saw fish for the first time! - a
whole shoal load of nippers jumping about on the surface of the fairly flat
sea in a swarm between 10 and 50 yards out.

I couldn't really see how big they all were, or even what type of fish they
were, but I could see that many of them were very small (fry).

If in future I see a similar sight - what would people recommend? To leave
them alone, that there might not be any big ones amongst them to catch?

Or that lure fishing is the wrong approach to take in that scenario?

As they were moving at a fairly fast pace to the right along the coast, I
had minimal time to react, so all I could think of was to swap my heavier,
bigger lure for a smaller floating, pike-type plug that would float stay
higher up in the water where they were.

Needless to say, I didn't catch any, but, given the chance again, I don't
want to miss out on other bigger fish swimming near them (although any size
fish is good enough for me!).

So, what would you have done in this situation?

Thanks for any advice.

Old June 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Ken Ward

" wrote in message
[...]

You did what was correct.. you should have done it quicker, that's all. The
small fish are being chased by the bigger ones, probably Mackerel or Bass.
Just chuck a lure or weighted feathers into the shoal and hope for the best
on the retrieve.

Ken Ward.

Old June 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Derek Moody

In article , lid
wrote:
I've been beach spinning lure fishing about 15 times now and I've still to
catch anything.

Last night just as it was getting dark, I saw fish for the first time! - a
whole shoal load of nippers jumping about on the surface of the fairly flat
sea in a swarm between 10 and 50 yards out.

I couldn't really see how big they all were, or even what type of fish they
were, but I could see that many of them were very small (fry).

Classic evasion tactics. There were predators under them.

If in future I see a similar sight - what would people recommend? To leave
them alone, that there might not be any big ones amongst them to catch?

Or that lure fishing is the wrong approach to take in that scenario?

8/10 - lure fishing is correct...

As they were moving at a fairly fast pace to the right along the coast, I
had minimal time to react, so all I could think of was to swap my heavier,
bigger lure for a smaller floating, pike-type plug that would float stay
higher up in the water where they were.

....and the plug might have worked but you really need something a little
closer to the size of the fish you're imitating - and at this time of year
they're so small that a fly-rod set up is about right. A small, solid,
german-sprat or mini-pirk would be next best bet.

Needless to say, I didn't catch any, but, given the chance again, I don't
want to miss out on other bigger fish swimming near them (although any size
fish is good enough for me!).

The other option is to go for the biggest lure in the box in the hope of
imitating whatever is harassing the fry - on the off chance than an even
larger predator is following those up.

However, I'd expect to see fish almost every trip - and not just tiddlers.
Make a note of the tide and go again in similar tide/light circumstances.
Consider the same venue at -first- light.

Work other venues 'til you start seeing more fish and note the tide/time
there too.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: