Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to alt.fishing
Rodney Long

Default Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

Nick wrote:
Rusty hooks should be replaced before going fishing. I carry a hook removal
kit in my boat. It contains small needle nosed pliers, dikes (diagonal cutting
pliers) with compound leverage, alcohol wipes, tongue depressors to hold
against the skin as the hook is pushed through (Your hide is tough!),

Not the best way to remove a hook (in most, not all cases)

Removing it backwards is better and does less damage, and hurts a whole
lot less (both in time and intensity), I had a Dr. show me this.

A quick Jerk backwards is how most ER's remove hooks now, It hard to
explain but easy to show someone how to do it, it's done with a doubled
piece of fishing line pulling against the bow in the hook,, with the
fishing line attached to the eye of the hook holding the hook straight
(light pressure, just to hold the hook straight against the other
pulling so the line will slip through the fingers as the reverse action
of the double line is jerked), A quick jerk, it's out in an instant. The
old school was pushing it through, cutting the barb off, then removing,
they found out more damage is done this way, than just removing it
backwards, letting the barb cut a little skin.

Only tool you need is an extra piece of line, I've used this method many
times, both on myself and others

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:51 AM posted to alt.fishing
Nick

Hi Rodney,

I agree that the looped line method should be tried if the hook is not in too
deep. Put a couple of loops of line around the shank of the hook. Then hold
the eye of the hook against the skin with the bend in the hook away from the
skin and give the hook a quick yank with the looped line. If the barb is just
below the skin, the hook will pop right out. If the barb is into the muscle,
it needs to be pushed through. Most of the time, the looped line method will
work.
During our annual trip to Canada a couple of years ago, one guy in our group
was crazy enough to grasp a small walleye around the middle with his hand
while attempting to unhook it from a No 11 Rapala. He ended up with three
hooks from two of the trebles in the fleshy part of his hand. By the time his
boat partner got the fish unhooked, one of the hooks was buried deep in the
muscle. After cutting the split rings, they were easily able to remove the two
hooks from the other treble using the looped line method. Although we have
marine radios on our boats, they didn't want to interrupt my fishing. By the
time I returned to the cabin and saw the hand, the hook had been buried in it
for almost an hour and it was starting to swell. Fortunately, I had some
topical anesthetic and some Betadine in my first aid kit. After the anesthetic
had time to work, I was easily able to remove the hook by pushing it through
and cutting it off. By the next day, the hand was ok. We fish at Cabonga in
Western Quebec. The nearest medical facility is hours away in Maniwocki.
I always use a fish grabber! Since we release most of our fish, it is better
for the fish too!
Sorry for the long post!

Rodney Long wrote: