MRSA - Doctors blamed.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.game,uk.rec.fishing.coarse,comp.sys.acorn.apps,uk.rec.sailing
Curtain Cider

Default MRSA - Doctors blamed.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:42:25 -0000, "Pat Gardiner"
wrote:

Pat's Note: I know from observation (long ties and white coats) that many of
the most senior doctors do not regard themselves aa a risk to their
patients.

They may be right, they may be wrong

That they will find the identification of a source rather than hospitals,
and a method of distribution rather than doctors, congenial is undeniable.

When it dawns on the medical profession that the government has covered up
MRSA in pigs, for years whilst harassing them, expect fireworks

When they find a senior figure in the CLA has been organising harassment of
the whistle blower for seven years, he can expect a white van and men in
white coats, rather than a black helicopter.

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/Cle...als.3818013.jp

Published Date: 27 February 2008
Source: Hemel Gazette
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Cleanliness clampdown at hospital reveals worst offenders are doctors

By Will Green

DOUBLE standards have emerged in a handwashing clampdown at the trust
running Hemel Hempstead Hospital.
While senior doctors have been identified as those least likely to wash
their hands, none have been disciplined for failing to do so.

However, 'six or seven' nurses at West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust have been
officially carpeted for handwashing lapses.

A cleanliness clampdown was introduced at the trust, including the threat of
the sack, to tackle high rates of killer bugs.

On certain wards 90 per cent of staff are washing their hands but it has
emerged the worst transgressors are consultants and junior doctors.

Medical director Graham Ramsay told a trust board meeting: "There are
patches of worsening handwashing control.

"The problem is particularly with consultants."

He added: "We need to implement that policy and discipline some doctors.

"Compliance is good but not as good as it was a few weeks ago."

Trust chairman Thomas Hanahoe said: "We need to ensure disciplinary
procedures with respect to handwashing are implemented.

"Why have we disciplined six nurses when doctors are worse in terms of
compliance with handwashing?"

A total of 31 MRSA cases have been reported for the past year at the trust
against a target of 18.

Meanwhile, there were 16 cases of clostridium difficilé during January
compared to 12 in December.

Chief executive Jan Filochowski warned: "A blame and punishment culture will
lead to worse care. We do have policies and procedures. People are expected
to comply with them. If the deviance is consistent they will be disciplined
and ultimately sacked."

Among the measures introduced to encourage hygiene are isolation wards, spot
checks and badges worn by staff reading 'Please ask me if my hands are clean'.

The full article contains 293 words and appears in Hemel Gazette newspaper.
Last Updated: 26 February 2008 3:11 PM