??? about striper beds and mating

Old April 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM posted to alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.fishing
[email protected]

Default ??? about striper beds and mating

Hi,

I have a boat in a marina, and decided to try an experiment
to see if it would attract fish. I submerged a platform about
3-4 feet deep, it's about as wide as the slip, and about 8 feet
front to back. So even though I'm in about 30 feet of water,
I still have a shallow area at the front of my slip. I put some
containers full of mud/sand from the river on the platform
to grow water plants in. I didn't think of all this until the end
of last summer, but during the winter it did attract some
little minnow sized fish...thousands of them. They still hang
out there, but during the past couple of weeks some stripers
have been hanging out too. Last week I noticed that one
seems to have decided one of the planters is his/her
territory, and it hangs around it all the time. Every once in
a while a much larger one would come along, and the
"owner" didn't chase it off but instead acted interested
in its presence. Now there is another one who appears to
have taken posession of one of the other planters, and
acts toward it like the first one did. When the larger fish
comes along, now it looks like it goes to both of the ones
who have their own territories. For some reason I've got
the impression that the males have decided the planters
are their bedding area, and the larger fish is a female or
are different females checking things out. Can anyone
tell me if that's likely to be the situation? Where online
can I learn more about their methods of reproduction?

Thanks for any help!
David
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM posted to alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.fishing
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:32:58 -0400, "Pepperoni" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sounds like typical bass behavior, with the males holding on the nest, and
the female holding nearby in deeper water.

Your search engine is your friend. Enter "striped bass" into the window and
hit *go*; you'll get hundreds of links.

http://www.striped-bass.com/fishing/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_bass
http://www.stripersonline.com/
http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/sos/spsyn/af/sbass/
http://www.stripersurf.com/

I've done a few searches, and each one brought up hundreds of
links. Even though I entered other terms like bed and bedding none
of the results I saw seemed like they would tell me what I wanted
to know. They were all about places to go fish, fish that people
had caught, and other things that have to do a lot more with humans
than they do with the fish.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM posted to alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.fishing
RichZ

Stripers are broadcast spawners, and do not build or use nests.

Old April 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM posted to alt.fishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.fishing
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:10:08 +0900, wrote:

[...]

As for the fish hanging around the platform - this is 100% normal.
Fish will tend to congregate around almost anything that provides
shade/cover....Including boats, weeds and even floating water toys
such as inner-tubes.
--
Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Worker" is like calling a
Crack Dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist"